A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Naval Aviation
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Hercs used for anti-ship bombing by Argentina



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 16th 12, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
a425couple
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 69
Default Hercs used for anti-ship bombing by Argentina

Yes, a Herc was used for anti-ship bombing.
You gotta love people who improvise in wartime!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Ward

"the Argentinians had been using a C-130 to attack merchant
ships re-supplying the task force by simply pushing a bomb
out of the back of the aircraft as it flew over (one bomb struck
a ship, but bounced off to no effect)."

from my follow up reading from
"Guy" -- wrote in message...
I have just re-read Sharkey Wards 'Sea Harrier over the Falklands' and
was amused to read, at the end of the book a 'discussion' between 3 of
his officers (801 Sdn) and a Herc pilot fresh from Lyneham,


Ads
  #2  
Old January 16th 12, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Frogwatch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Hercs used for anti-ship bombing by Argentina

On Jan 16, 11:25*am, "a425couple" wrote:
Yes, a Herc was used for anti-ship bombing.
You gotta love people who improvise in wartime!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Ward

"the Argentinians had been using a C-130 to attack merchant
ships re-supplying the task force by simply pushing a bomb
out of the back of the aircraft as it flew over (one bomb struck
a ship, but bounced off to no effect)."

from my follow up reading from







"Guy" -- wrote in message...
I have just re-read Sharkey Wards 'Sea Harrier over the Falklands' and
was amused to read, at the end of the book a 'discussion' between 3 of
his officers (801 Sdn) and a Herc pilot fresh from Lyneham,


I remember this and that it was not very effective.
  #3  
Old January 16th 12, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Ray O'Hara[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Hercs used for anti-ship bombing by Argentina


"Frogwatch" wrote in message
...
On Jan 16, 11:25 am, "a425couple" wrote:
Yes, a Herc was used for anti-ship bombing.
You gotta love people who improvise in
wartime!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Ward

"the Argentinians had been using a C-130 to attack merchant
ships re-supplying the task force by simply pushing a bomb
out of the back of the aircraft as it flew over (one bomb struck
a ship, but bounced off to no effect)."

from my follow up reading from







"Guy" -- wrote in message...
I have just re-read Sharkey Wards 'Sea Harrier over the Falklands' and
was amused to read, at the end of the book a 'discussion' between 3 of
his officers (801 Sdn) and a Herc pilot fresh from Lyneham,


I remember this and that it was not very effective


================================================== ==================

the Argies re-fused bombs from ground use to anti-shipping use and their
attempt failed. many of the re-fused bombs
that did hit failed to explode.
the Antelope was one such bomb that initially failed to explode, it was
later accidently set of by the Bomb defuser.
most others were successfully rendered safe.


  #4  
Old January 16th 12, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
guy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 44
Default Hercs used for anti-ship bombing by Argentina

On Jan 16, 4:25*pm, "a425couple" wrote:
Yes, a Herc was used for anti-ship bombing.
You gotta love people who improvise in wartime!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Ward

"the Argentinians had been using a C-130 to attack merchant
ships re-supplying the task force by simply pushing a bomb
out of the back of the aircraft as it flew over (one bomb struck
a ship, but bounced off to no effect)."

from my follow up reading from



"Guy" -- wrote in message...
I have just re-read Sharkey Wards 'Sea Harrier over the Falklands' and
was amused to read, at the end of the book a 'discussion' between 3 of
his officers (801 Sdn) and a Herc pilot fresh from Lyneham,- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


IIRC the ship it hit was US, - a neutral

Guy
  #5  
Old January 16th 12, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Keith W[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default Hercs used for anti-ship bombing by Argentina

Ray O'Hara wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

the Argies re-fused bombs from ground use to anti-shipping use and
their attempt failed. many of the re-fused bombs
that did hit failed to explode.
the Antelope was one such bomb that initially failed to explode, it
was later accidently set of by the Bomb defuser.
most others were successfully rendered safe.


The problem with the Hercules bomber was rather more fundmental.

One of the two ships they managed to hit was a US flagged tanker
which did nothing to endear them to the US government.

Keith


  #6  
Old January 17th 12, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Ray O'Hara[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Hercs used for anti-ship bombing by Argentina


"Keith W" wrote in message
...
Ray O'Hara wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

the Argies re-fused bombs from ground use to anti-shipping use and
their attempt failed. many of the re-fused bombs
that did hit failed to explode.
the Antelope was one such bomb that initially failed to explode, it
was later accidently set of by the Bomb defuser.
most others were successfully rendered safe.


The problem with the Hercules bomber was rather more fundmental.

One of the two ships they managed to hit was a US flagged tanker
which did nothing to endear them to the US government.

Keith



that they hit anything is amazing.
Fortunately for the UK the Argie Army and Navy didn't have the balls the
Argie Air Force had.


  #7  
Old January 17th 12, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Moramarth
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Hercs used for anti-ship bombing by Argentina

On Jan 16, 7:44 pm, "Keith W" wrote:
Ray O'Hara wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message


the Argies re-fused bombs from ground use to anti-shipping use and
their attempt failed. many of the re-fused bombs
that did hit failed to explode.
the Antelope was one such bomb that initially failed to explode, it
was later accidently set of by the Bomb defuser.
most others were successfully rendered safe.


The problem with the Hercules bomber was rather more fundmental.

One of the two ships they managed to hit was a US flagged tanker
which did nothing to endear them to the US government.

Keith


The first tanker hit was the "British Wye" - no damage. The US Tanker
was a 220,000 ton VLCC coincidentally named "Hercules"...
The latter was scuttled as it was said it was impossible to remove the
bomb safely (although there have been mutterings along the lines of
"insurance scam" as there was over-capacity at the time). However,
some sources credit the "Hercules" to Canberras: but if it was a
C-130, that single kill would catapult it into the ranks of all-time
most sucessfull ship-killers, based on tonnage. Before the Iran-Iraq
Tanker War, the Buccaneer was one of the leading scorers on that
basis, despite never having been in a shooting was at that stage;
they'd racked up 3 VLCCs (Torrey Canyon by the RAF, and 2 others by
the SAAF).

Cheers,

Moramarth



  #8  
Old January 17th 12, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
David E. Powell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Hercs used for anti-ship bombing by Argentina

On Jan 16, 8:06*pm, "Ray O'Hara" wrote:
"Keith W" wrote in message

...





Ray O'Hara wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message


the Argies re-fused bombs from ground use to anti-shipping use and
their attempt failed. many of the re-fused bombs
that did hit failed to explode.
the Antelope was one such bomb that initially failed to explode, it
was later accidently set of by the Bomb defuser.
most others were successfully rendered safe.


The problem with the Hercules bomber was rather more fundmental.


One of the two ships they managed to hit was a US flagged tanker
which did nothing to endear them to the US government.


Keith


that they hit anything is amazing.
Fortunately for the UK the Argie Army and Navy didn't have the balls the
Argie Air Force had.


The guys on the Argentinian GUPPY boat drove their sub about as hard
as they could.
  #9  
Old January 17th 12, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
John Szalay[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 364
Default Hercs used for anti-ship bombing by Argentina

"David E. Powell" wrote in
n

The problem with the Hercules bomber was rather more fundmental.


KC-130J Harvest hawk might have been useful just a little late..


http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcascher...stHawk20110401
..aspx#.TxTf86WXTNU
  #10  
Old January 17th 12, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
a425couple
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 69
Default Hercs used for anti-ship bombing by Argentina

"John Szalay" john.szalayATatt.net wrote in message...
"David E. Powell" wrote in
The problem with the Hercules bomber was rather more fundmental.


KC-130J Harvest hawk might have been useful just a little late..

http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcascher...stHawk20110401
.aspx#.TxTf86WXTNU


Wow!! neat. Obviously, could of been very useful,
but a lot changes in 30 years.
Really, 30 years since the Falklands!
How old is that plane!! It sure was not new when
I got carted around in them? First flew in 1954!!!

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raytheon Tests JSOW-ER As Anti-Ship Weapon [email protected] Naval Aviation 1 November 3rd 09 08:26 AM
New JSOW Variant For Anti-Ship Work [email protected] Naval Aviation 5 May 30th 07 10:53 PM
Rockets Red Glare, pt 4 - Penguin anti-ship missle.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 November 16th 06 01:27 PM
USAF considers new anti-ship weapon. [email protected] Naval Aviation 67 November 12th 05 06:09 AM
anti-ship weapons question Rob van Riel Naval Aviation 18 April 20th 05 02:51 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.