CBS NEWS - An Idea

Old January 16th 04, 03:30 PM
Harry Gordon

Default CBS NEWS - An Idea

If someone else has already made this suggestion, I apologize.

CBS apparently takes great pride in raising the fear in the hearts of
Americans. Lately that fear has been focused on the GA news item, which I
didn't see because I don't watch CBS news.

I began thinking that the reason this "grab your socks, the world's coming
to an end" news item on GA may not be because of the threat GA poses, but
rather because GA is not a sponsor of CBS News. Truck rental companies are
or certainly have the potential of becoming a sponsor and surely, a network
news team wouldn't "blast" their sponsor, would they?

So, how about AOPA and the Be A Pilot organization buy some advertising time
during the CBS News show and talk/show how great GA really is?

Having just taken great pride in slamming GA, I wonder what the CBS News
management team would think as they watched, and knew America was watching,
a family enjoying a flight through the open skies over the Rockies or the
wheat lands or maybe even showing the joy in landing at a GA airport that
has a great BBQ place close by....

Just an idea.

:-)

Harry, PP-ASEL
San Antonio, TX (we have some great BBQ here)

Old January 16th 04, 04:42 PM
C J Campbell

I think CBS News' attitude has a lot less to do with sponsorship or any real
security and concerns than it does with Dan Rather's personal and political
agenda.

The producers of the show own property near runways. Perhaps they would like
those runways closed. And if you can portray the Bush administration as
being lax on security during an election year, then so much the better.

Old January 16th 04, 04:56 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Harry Gordon" wrote in message
[...]

We don't pay people not to rape us.

Old January 16th 04, 07:35 PM
Steve Robertson

Harry Gordon wrote:

snip

I began thinking that the reason this "grab your socks, the world's coming
to an end" news item on GA may not be because of the threat GA poses, but
rather because GA is not a sponsor of CBS News. Truck rental companies are
or certainly have the potential of becoming a sponsor and surely, a network
news team wouldn't "blast" their sponsor, would they?

So, how about AOPA and the Be A Pilot organization buy some advertising time
during the CBS News show and talk/show how great GA really is?

If you pay attention to whom is sponsoring the 3 major news shows, including
CBS, you will notice that virtually all of the commercials are for medicine. And
far and away the most number of commercials are for laxatives. I'm not kidding.
Watch and see for yourself. GA would be wasting it's money advertising to the
sick and constipated.

While I don't condone CBS's actions, keep in mind that YOU don't believe
everything you see on the news. Why assume that everybody but you believes it?

Best regards,

Steve Robertson
N4732J 1967 Beechcraft A23-24 Musketeer

Old January 16th 04, 07:40 PM
C J Campbell

"Steve Robertson" wrote in message

| If you pay attention to whom is sponsoring the 3 major news shows,
including
| CBS, you will notice that virtually all of the commercials are for
medicine. And
| far and away the most number of commercials are for laxatives. I'm not
kidding.
| Watch and see for yourself. GA would be wasting it's money advertising to
the
| sick and constipated.

Says something about CBS viewers, doesn't it?

| While I don't condone CBS's actions, keep in mind that YOU don't believe
| everything you see on the news. Why assume that everybody but you believes
it?

The trouble is, some people will believe it, even the ones that don't
believe everything they see on the news.

Personally, I am reaching the point where I don't believe anything I see on
the news.

Old January 16th 04, 08:51 PM
Casey Webster

"Harry Gordon" wrote in message
Harry, PP-ASEL
San Antonio, TX (we have some great BBQ here)

you ought to fly up to 6R9 and take the courtesy car out to coopers, thats
some good bbq

now if only the weather here in austin would clear up...

Old January 16th 04, 08:56 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Harry Gordon wrote:

So, how about AOPA and the Be A Pilot organization buy some advertising time
during the CBS News show and talk/show how great GA really is?

Once you pay Danegeld, you never get rid of the Dane.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 16th 04, 09:03 PM
Maule Driver

"C J Campbell"
Personally, I am reaching the point where I don't believe anything I see

on
the news.

Someone explained to me that the only thing you can get from news media with
some reasonable assurance of accuracy are the "actualities". I don't know
abou the word, but it goes something like this with regard to the CBS
report:

From that report I can reasonably assume that:
- there are airparks where people live with their planes
- there is an airpark called xxxxx in Virginia
- the former NTSB official did work for the NTSB.

....and that's about it. The rest of it can't necessarily be believed. You
might as well be sitting in a bar talking to someone you just met about GA
airport security, or anything else for that matter.

I try to remember that whenver a plane crash is reported. No matter the
details reported, all I can reasonably assume is that a plane crashed.

Old January 16th 04, 09:21 PM
Milo

We don't pay people not to rape us.

Damn straight! Why should we (I send my share to AOPA) help these
punks out? Don't support those who currently advertise there, as a
matter of fact, call them and tell them you will not purchase what
they are offering as long as they are advertising with CBS.
Old January 16th 04, 10:28 PM
Dave Stadt

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
r.com...
"C J Campbell"
Personally, I am reaching the point where I don't believe anything I see

on
the news.

Someone explained to me that the only thing you can get from news media

with
some reasonable assurance of accuracy are the "actualities". I don't know
abou the word, but it goes something like this with regard to the CBS
report:

From that report I can reasonably assume that:
- there are airparks where people live with their planes
- there is an airpark called xxxxx in Virginia
- the former NTSB official did work for the NTSB.

...and that's about it. The rest of it can't necessarily be believed.

You
might as well be sitting in a bar talking to someone you just met about GA
airport security, or anything else for that matter.

I try to remember that whenver a plane crash is reported. No matter the
details reported, all I can reasonably assume is that a plane crashed.

Can't even assume that as they consider someone landing without scratching
the plane after an engine out to be a crash.