PowerFLARM Brick ADS-B antenna source?

Old October 14th 12, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default PowerFLARM Brick ADS-B antenna source?

Hi,

Thanks to some soaring friends I have found a good, low cost source for the
dipole FLARM antennas as supplied with the PowerFLARM Brick.

However, I have not yet had any luck finding a source for the shorter ADS-B
dipole antennas supplied with the PowerFLARM Brick. Has anyone here found
them. I want to have them in stock for customers.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old October 14th 12, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Did you try the address and phone number shown on the data sheet?

http://www.linxtechnologies.com/reso...-mhw-xxx-x.pdf
Old October 15th 12, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Andy,

The link below is to data on the FLARM antenna at 916 MHZ. I have a good
source for those antennas. The ADS-B antenna is shorter and for 1090MHZ.
Those are the ones I can't find.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
________________________________

Old October 15th 12, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

The link below is to data on the FLARM antenna at 916 MHZ. *I have a good
source for those antennas. *The ADS-B antenna is shorter and for 1090MHZ.
Those are the ones I can't find.

The two antennas supplied with my brick are 98mm long. The only
difference between them is that one is SMA and the other RP-SMA. Both
of these antenna are shown on the data sheet referenced.

Are you saying that some people were provided, or are being provided,
with a different ADS-B antenna?

If so, could this have any bearing on the unsatisfactory PCAS
performance reported by some owners?

Andy
Old October 15th 12, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Andy,

Recent FLARM Brick shipments have included a slightly shorter antenna for
ADS-B. I think they had to get them custom made in China.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old October 15th 12, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Monday, October 15, 2012 7:26:02 AM UTC-7, Andy wrote:

If so, could this have any bearing on the unsatisfactory PCAS

performance reported by some owners?

Andy

Andy,

It would have some bearing, as transponders operate at 1090MHz vs PF centered at 916MHz or so. The "new" shorter ADS-B/PCAS is tuned for 1090. But, when you consider that radio receive function is less critical of antenna matching than transmit, and that the power output of ADS-B and Xponders is much higher than Flarm, I suspect that the short range brick PCAS is more a software issue than antenna.

On my brick, I'm using the short 1090MHz dipole mounted in the nose as on "PK", and PCAS receive is still not great, PF is fine though. On my portable, with rubber ducky antennas and no PF-B antenna, it's just the opposite - great PCAS and just acceptable PF range.

Disclaimer: Only three flights with the brick so far, so brick comments based on only a few hours. Also, all antenna cables are shortened.

bumper

Old October 15th 12, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

While we're on this, is anyone installing the extra PF antenna that is
supposed to go in the wheel well and let you see gliders directly
below you? (Paul?) Any experiences/options on this one? In a gaggle,
the guy directly below me is one I cannot by definition see.
John Cochrane
Old October 15th 12, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Oct 15, 11:31*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Recent FLARM Brick shipments have included a slightly shorter antenna for
ADS-B. *I think they had to get them custom made in China.

Will owners who were supplied with an incorrect antenna be provided
with the correct one?

Andy
Old October 15th 12, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It would be interesting to learn if any FLARM performance would be gained if FLARM antennas were mounted in the vertical stabilizer which is not carbon.

Provided the proper gauge and resistance extension cable was used, an antenna could be taped to the fin for range testing purposes.

Call me nuts but I wish sailplane manufactures would provide a removable panel in the vertical to allowing access to probe pluming, fin ballast plumbing, radio antenna, HI strobe, and possible FLARM antennae maintenance/installation.

Ben

Old October 16th 12, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Andy,

It's not exactly that anyone was delivered an "incorrect" antenna. Antennas
cover a range of frequencies. The longer ones should work well.

If you feel strongly that you need a replacement, I recommend contacting the
dealer from which you purchased the PowerFLARM to see if it will be possible
to supply a free replacement. I don't think FLARM has any plans at this
time to replace the longer antennas - because the longer ones should work
fine.

Being a dealer myself, I will be glad to sell any of my customers a
replacement antenna at my cost.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Andy" wrote in message

On Oct 15, 11:31 am, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Recent FLARM Brick shipments have included a slightly shorter antenna for
ADS-B. I think they had to get them custom made in China.

Will owners who were supplied with an incorrect antenna be provided
with the correct one?

Andy

Shortening PowerFLARM Brick Antenna and GPS cables kirk.stant Soaring 30 January 29th 13 03:27 AM
Powerflarm Brick feedback Ramy Soaring 7 August 10th 12 01:02 AM
PowerFLARM Brick and PowerFLARM Remote Display Manuals Available Paul Remde Soaring 30 May 25th 12 11:58 PM
PowerFLARM 'brick' progress? Frank Paynter[_2_] Soaring 5 November 13th 11 07:28 PM
Display for PowerFLARM brick Andy[_1_] Soaring 4 May 10th 11 02:32 PM