Google Glass news of interest to pilots and soaring app developers

Old February 20th 13, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Google Glass news of interest to pilots and soaring app developers

Google Glass is an eyeglass mounted voice controlled heads up display, computer, video camera, Siri-like assistant.

This video includes a demonstration of someone wearing Glass while flying aerobatics (powered):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1uyQZNg2vE

Google is accepting proposals for the privilege to buy a Glass from the first batch (for $1500).

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/40...der/in/2689413

If you get some good soaring footage with the Glass, it might be included in a compilation video promoted by Google (and viewed by millions). It's not in my budget and my life/flights are pretty boring, but I thought somebody on RAS might be interested (either an individual or a syndicate).

Secondly, Google is making Glass available to "App Developers" as well, so maybe someone might be interested in developing a "Glass Soaring App"... for example link the heads up display with flight instruments via Bluetooth. Use Glass as a Flarm display?
Old February 20th 13, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neil McLaughlin

Interested to read more about this and see the video, however
neither of the links seem to be working?

Cheers

Neil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dv1uyQZNg2vE

Google is accepting proposals for the privilege to buy a Glass

from the
fir=
st batch (for $1500).

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/40...oogle-project-

glass-explorer-edi=
tion-pre-order/in/2689413

=

Old February 20th 13, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:21:00 AM UTC-5, Neil McLaughlin wrote:
Interested to read more about this and see the video, however
neither of the links seem to be working?

Perhaps the servers are overloaded with requests. This is very hot at the moment.

The following link has the backing of Google's server farms, so it should hold up to the traffic:

https://plus.google.com/+projectglass/posts
Old February 20th 13, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neil McLaughlin

Thanks found it through that link.

Would be great to see how it could work with XC Soar etc (which
runs on Googles Android platform anyway)

Probably a few years away until the price point would become
more reasonable!

Old February 20th 13, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neil McLaughlin

I expect your talking about the plastic part on the frame as
opposed to the projection area?

Has anyone worn them to be able to comment?

Old February 20th 13, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:14:22 PM UTC-5, John Galloway wrote:
Looks like a visual blind spot to the right side.

That was the first thing that I thought of too.

The 'blind spot' is somewhat mitigated because the image is projected into just one eye, you can see through the projection and I believe that you have to deliberately look towards the projection to see it. I think the video shows what the Glass video camera records, not what the user actually sees..

I expect that if there was movement (another glider) in that area that the brain might give priority to what the unobstructed eye was seeing (the moving object) and the projected image would 'disappear' in a similar fashion to how our minds filter out the canopy reflections that show up in GoPro videos shot from inside the canopy. Pure speculation and wishful thinking on my part at this stage. If you can get rid of the PNA screen and use Glass instead, then the tradeoff might be worth it. Eyes more often out-of-the-cockpit on balance.
Old February 21st 13, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]

"Hilda, find me a thermal please".
"I'm sorry sir, I don't see one in view."
"Well look harder, I'm gettin' darn low and don't see much for
fields."
"Scanning..... scannning.... scannning... scanning...."
"Damit Hilda, now I'm really low! Find me an LZ !"
"Sorry, I don't know LZ. Would you like me to look it up?"
Old February 21st 13, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:59:17 PM UTC-5, soartech wrote:
"Hilda, find me a thermal please".

You laugh. Some day we will use Machine Vision to spot thermaling birds from five miles away.
Old February 21st 13, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:18:16 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
[...]

Google Glass is more of a camcorder/phone than a display. There are many other see-through "Head Mounted Display's" on the market which are just computer monitors. These seem more useful in a cockpit than Google's gizmo.