Newbie requests info Rotorway

Old November 19th 03, 05:13 PM
herod

Default Newbie requests info Rotorway

Hi,

I am brand new here, and have always been fascinated with helicopter
flying. I have only been in a helicopter once. I have been reading the
info on the Rotorway website, and I have been pretty impressed. What I
am looking for is an (relatively) inexpensive, yet safe and (relatively)
up to date way to learn to fly a helicopter. Anyone have any personal
experience with Rotorway, good or bad?

Also, what does TBO stand for? It seems like it has something to do
with maintenance.

Thanks
Old November 20th 03, 01:09 AM
Stu

There is a website for Rotorway Execs where the owners discuss their
problems. Try a google search.
Also go to www.acehelicopter.com for the Rotorway's competition: The
Safari. or my website: www.vkss.com
Stu Fields

Old November 21st 03, 03:16 AM
noflyzone

Take a look at www.helicycle.com BJ Schramm designed the Rotorway Exec
and has also designed the Helicycle. Read what he says in his FAQ. The
other site is www.rotorway.org for the builders group. Good info there
too.
Jimmy

Old November 21st 03, 03:07 PM
Mark

herod wrote in message ...
Hi,

I am brand new here, and have always been fascinated with helicopter
flying. I have only been in a helicopter once. I have been reading the
info on the Rotorway website, and I have been pretty impressed. What I
am looking for is an (relatively) inexpensive, yet safe and (relatively)
up to date way to learn to fly a helicopter. Anyone have any personal
experience with Rotorway, good or bad?

Also, what does TBO stand for? It seems like it has something to do
with maintenance.

Thanks

As for the TBO, it means Time Between Overhaul.

An aircraft engine has a time set (in hours) by the manufacture as to
when an engine is expected to be overhauled. Some engines have a 1800
hour TBO. Meaning that after 1800 hours the typical engine is needing
to be overhauled. However this number is just an adverage. Some
engines are worn out after only 1400 hours where as others have gone
as long as 2400 hours. One of the main *tests* to determine if an
engine is needing to be overhauled is doing a compression test on each
cylinder. If the cylinder compression falls below a set number, then
it needs work done to it.

I'll let someone else tell you the specifics for a turbine engine.
Old November 28th 03, 11:39 PM

If all you want to do is LEARN to fly a helicopter, then I suggest
that you check out any number of good flight schools. They average
around $200/hr with some as low as $165 for an R22.

The rotorway is a good ship, but like any homebuilt, its only as good
as they guy building it. New and unbuilt, they are around $65K, used,
around $30K. For $30K you could probably get your commercial heli
rating and have plenty left over for the celebration.

To find out about the crash history of all helicopters, check out:
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviation/aviation.htm

Dennis.

herod wrote in message
Hi,

am looking for is an (relatively) inexpensive, yet safe and (relatively)
up to date way to learn to fly a helicopter. Anyone have any personal
experience with Rotorway, good or bad?

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."
To find out what an H-1B is and how they are putting
Americans out of work, visit the following web site
and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

POSA Carb Info and HAPI Engine Info Bill Home Built 0 March 8th 04 08:23 PM
Starting new info site need info from the pros MRQB Piloting 7 January 5th 04 03:20 AM
Aircraft info Paul Piloting 5 December 21st 03 09:26 AM
Basic Stupid Newbie Questions... John Penta Military Aviation 5 September 19th 03 05:23 PM
Info on Richmond International in VA USA? Malcolm Teas Piloting 2 July 9th 03 10:13 PM