Fly-in BBQ at Inyokern - Saturday June 13

Old May 27th 15, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Fly-in BBQ at Inyokern - Saturday June 13

Sierra Soaring Club is hosting a fun get together, "contest", and BBQ at 6 pm on Saturday, June 13 (alternate 2 weeks later on the 27th).

Launch at an airport of your choice (including IYK), then fly your best OLC distance planning to arrive around 6pm for grilled chicken, hot dogs, potato salad, dessert and soft drinks.

Spend the night and fly home on Sunday (SSA membership required to receive a tow).

Please RSVP to sierrasoaringclub (at gmail) so we can be sure not to run out of food.

Looking forward to seeing all soaring enthusiasts!

5Z
Old May 27th 15, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 8:58:58 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Sierra Soaring Club is hosting a fun get together, "contest", and BBQ at 6 pm on Saturday, June 13 (alternate 2 weeks later on the 27th).

Launch at an airport of your choice (including IYK), then fly your best OLC distance planning to arrive around 6pm for grilled chicken, hot dogs, potato salad, dessert and soft drinks.

Spend the night and fly home on Sunday (SSA membership required to receive a tow).

Please RSVP to sierrasoaringclub (at gmail) so we can be sure not to run out of food.

Looking forward to seeing all soaring enthusiasts!

5Z

Sounds fun. Inyokern is one of the few places I haven't been to yet, so may try to get there from Truckee and drag few others with me, weather permitting.

Ramy
Old June 13th 15, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Final reminder for the Sierra Soaring "Contest" and BBQ tomorrow. Weather forecast looks good, but not super great. Thermal tops at 12K according to WX's latest forecast. Hope to see some new faces at IYK tomorrow. For those unfamiliar with IYK, please look at the following link. The Sierra Soaring hangar is located on the north side of the airport.

Thanks,

Alex
SSC Vice President
Old June 14th 15, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So Who was the winner of farthest glide to Inyokern?

Both Ramy Yanetz and David Ainsman flew in from Truckee. Ramy scored 806 points and could be said to have won the out of town class but Kevin Wayt was the overall winner with 926 points. Doug Levy may be higher in points after flying from IYK to Ely in his 1-26 but the only rule we had was that you had to land at IYK. Overall we had a successful "contest" with 3-4 coming in from out of town and probably about 6-7 flying out of IYK.

I think we will try to make this an annual event, so if you are based out of NV or CA think about flying to one way to IYK in early June 2016.

Well, think about coming out other times as well. We usually operate on weekends but now that a couple of our tow pilots have retired from their day jobs we can support weekday flying with adequate prior notice.

Thanks,

Alex

Old June 15th 15, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Dave H flew from Jean NV to Inyokern in his Pik20D. Across Death Valley but not enough OLC points to win. He got out if Jean just before the weather overdeveloped and shut things down for a while. Should get extra points for degree of difficulty. Death Valley is not easy in the summer.

Great going Dave!

BillT
Old June 15th 15, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 5:50:22 PM UTC-7, Bill T wrote:
Dave H flew from Jean NV to Inyokern in his Pik20D. Across Death Valley but not enough OLC points to win. He got out if Jean just before the weather overdeveloped and shut things down for a while. Should get extra points for degree of difficulty. Death Valley is not easy in the summer.

Great going Dave!

BillT

thanks! as a low time XC pilot...it was the most ambitious flight i have yet to attempt. the weather was helpful...cloud streets along the ridges were my primary navigation source.only had one time i got near 8000 outside of Panamint Springs but found lift eventually to take me to Inyokern. I would have like to have made Whitney, but rain was in the area and proceeded directly to inyo rather than attempting to reach Loan Pine. also thanks to Doug M for his coaching, guidance and encouragement.

also the LVVSA president made the return flight. she actually flew further.....from inyokern past mt Whitney to Independance before turning back and then onto death valley for the trip back to Jean. in all, a 475k flight and her best one to date yet as well. getting low once (5000msl) near Amargosa but stayed focused and climbed back out to 14.5 for a straight glide back to Jean. huge flight for MM.
Old June 16th 15, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Great for MM! I was hoping she would attempt the return flight!
BillT
Old June 16th 15, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SteveB_Z5

I guess Hangman didn't get back in time for the BBQ. Great flight Doug!

Steve