Season Passes available from Soaring NV in Minden

Old December 13th 19, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Season Passes available from Soaring NV in Minden

https://soaringnv.com/

You can pay for tows on a per-tow basis, which will be billed on a per-minute basis, or you can purchase a VIP Season Tow Pass. Here are the details for both options:
Paying on a Per-Tow Basis
• Glider pilots are responsible for having their glider at the staging area, and for the hook-up and launch of their glider, unless line help is requested (see below). • A tow reservation is required ◦ A reservations will cost $25 ▪ Reservation is non-refundable ▪ Reservation cost DOES count toward the final cost of the tow ◦ Reservations can be made via e-mail: ◦ Reservations can be made via phone: 775-782-9595 ◦ Reservations can be rescheduled with sufficient advance notice • Line help can be requested, for an additional cost of $25. ◦ Please specify if you do or don’t want line help when you make your tow reservation. ◦ Line help covers transport of glider to the staging area for launch and from the staging area upon return, hook up, launch, and other staging activities. • Tows will be billed at a cost of $7.40 per minute ◦ Time starts when the tow plane and glider start rolling. ◦ Time stops as soon as the tow plane touch down for landing.
VIP Annual Tow Pass
• The VIP Annual Tow Pass is $4200 for the entire year. ◦ The pass can be purchased at any point during the year. ◦ If the pass is purchased in advance, during the months of November and December, for the coming year, the price will be discounted to $3750. • A tow reservation is required ◦ Season pass holders DO NOT pay a reservation fee
◦ Reservations can be made via e-mail:
◦ Reservations can be made via phone: 775-782-9595 ◦ Reservations can be rescheduled with sufficient advance notice • VIP Annual Tow Pass holders enjoy the following benefits at no additional cost: ◦ Unlimited tows ◦ Unlimited oxygen fills ◦ Unlimited land out retrievals ◦ Line service ◦ Wave Camp tickets
We aim to make your gliding experience as smooth and enjoyable as possible, and encourage any feedback. We’re here to help you soar, and we’re happiest when you’re soaring stress-free.
Old December 13th 19, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 4:30:14 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Makes a motorglider sound better and better.
Old December 13th 19, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 7:59:37 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
Makes a motorglider sound better and better.

Which is pretty distressing.
Jim

Old December 13th 19, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

[...]

You can always check out Air Sailing just to the north or Soar Truckee just to the west.....
Old December 13th 19, 07:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 5:30:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Wow! You guys are expensive. $50 before you even get off the ground.

The club I fly at charges $25 for the first 1000ft , and $1 for every 100ft above that. So a 3000ft tow would cost you $45. You need to get your name on the calendar for the day, but the "reservation" is free.
Old December 13th 19, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I will be passing, and predict Air Sailing will be getting some new business.

As one of the pioneers of soaring out of Minden, it saddens me to see what has happened to one of the premier soaring sites of the world.
Old December 13th 19, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Interesting way to describe the situation.
Not sure, but would/could/should these words describe the same same offer?

Welcome the Minden, an amazing place to soar!

We offer a tow special with a zero hookup charge and $1.50 per 500 feet, if you can handle the ground stuff yourself and get off tow near the airport. If you'd like a remote start, we can also tow for $7.40/minute tow start to tow wheel stop.

If you need help moving moving your glider, hooking up, or wing running, we can provide one of our trained line helpers for $25. He'll also help with landing.

To better coordinate your tow, we run with a reservation system. Since it costs money to move the tow plane, we charge an additional $25 if you reserve and don't tow. Just let us know what you need and we can adjust given a reasonable notice.

If you fly here a lot, ask about our VIP/Christmas present plan...
Old December 13th 19, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Do the math. Doesn't look unreasonable to me. Remember, reservation fee goes toward cost of tow. We pay $50 for 2000 feet(non club).And that's east coast, flat land, no scenery. I wish I lived in NV! I'd jump on the season ticket deal. All those services included. Great for the crewless!
Old December 13th 19, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If a guy was going to put in a year of concentrated flying, going for some records or personal goals, the yearly price deal is not unreasonable, in facts its pretty good if one considers getting unlimited tow-backs to Minden.

But I remember a time when a guy got all the help staging and recovering from the operators there at Minden free, just part of the service. Along with that came free camping on the x’ed off runway, along with no tie down fees and no add-on fees of any kind. Along with no bull**** rules from multiple “soaring associations”. Incidentally, those were days that had 3 times the soaring activity there, than whats present today. I remember, even as a struggling college kid I could afford a weekend tow, and the Stowers bro’s would cut me a tow deal if I helped stage machines. I remember in the evenings, when Carl Herold would talk to me for hours about the days flight, freely giving a kid pointers on how to interpret and deal with great basin soaring over a bear next to his camper parked out on the line. I remember Marcel Goudinat teaching me all I needed to know about wave flying and not charging me $450 for the “mandatory check out”.

Back then it was not all about the money.
Old December 13th 19, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Gents -

None of this is unreasonable. In order to stay in business, SoaringNV has to bring in revenue. This is a commercial operation not a club.

At the Nephi OLC camp, tows are $65 to 2000' agl and $100 to 3000'. Not a bitch about cost is heard.

The ASA Parowan Camp charges by the minute for tows and the total cost was much less than I expected it to be (thanks John!).

Perhaps we should be thanking Jim for coming up with some unique ideas to keep Minden a soaring destination.

Lou