Mecaplex canopy window lube

Old February 17th 20, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Mecaplex canopy window lube

What is the best way to lube the sliding window in a Mecaplex canopy? Mine is a bit stiff, and I don't want to break it by using too much force. It will slide, but stiffly.
Old February 17th 20, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 2:23:52 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
What is the best way to lube the sliding window in a Mecaplex canopy? Mine is a bit stiff, and I don't want to break it by using too much force. It will slide, but stiffly.

Look for binds. You may need to smooth some edges with fine sandpaper. You should not need to lube.
Good luck
UH
Old February 17th 20, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 2:23:52 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
What is the best way to lube the sliding window in a Mecaplex canopy?
Mine is a bit stiff, and I don't want to break it by using too much force.
It will slide, but stiffly.

Clean the tracks with wet soft cotton cloth (not paper towel).
Work the window back and forth, clean again, and get all the grit out.

What UH says (very fine paper!)
Old February 17th 20, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Foster wrote:
What is the best way to lube the sliding window in a Mecaplex

canopy?
Mine is a bit stiff, and I don't want to break it by using too

much
force.
It will slide, but stiffly.

Clean the tracks with wet soft cotton cloth (not paper towel).
Work the window back and forth, clean again, and get all the grit

out.

What UH says (very fine paper!)

Pledge or bees wax helps too

Old February 17th 20, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

Foster wrote:
What is the best way to lube the sliding window in a Mecaplex

canopy?
Mine is a bit stiff, and I don't want to break it by using too

much
force.
It will slide, but stiffly.

Clean the tracks with wet soft cotton cloth (not paper towel).
Work the window back and forth, clean again, and get all the grit

out.

What UH says (very fine paper!)

Pledge or bees wax helps too

Or try some talcum powder...
Old February 18th 20, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

"Fine paper",....think 1500 grit to 3000 grit.....wet is better....
Yes, "wet paper towel" or similar can work.....start cheap/easy, work up....
Old February 18th 20, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I dip a Q-tip in canopy cleaner fluid and run it all around the tracks, then open and close the window several times.
Repeat as necessary. If it used to be free, then is got crud on the sides of the window and in the tracks. I also give the pop-out window bolt a quarter turn, if it’s popping out all by itself!
JJ
Old February 18th 20, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

It's not difficult to remove the two tracks and siding window, and then clean the tracks, swab some vaseline in the tracks and reassemble.

KS

Old February 18th 20, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 8:38:04 PM UTC-5, Karl Striedieck wrote:
It's not difficult to remove the two tracks and siding window,
and then clean the tracks, swab some vaseline in the tracks and reassemble.

Take special care not to over-tighten screws and crack plexi.
Vaseline will trap grit; not recommended.
No lube should be necessary, but wax will trap less grit if you must.

See ya in Little Rock and Seminole!
Best Regards, Dave
Old February 18th 20, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cdeerinck

On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 11:23:52 AM UTC-8, John Foster wrote:
What is the best way to lube the sliding window in a Mecaplex canopy? Mine is a bit stiff, and I don't want to break it by using too much force. It will slide, but stiffly.

I think your best bet is to remove the rails, clean everything, then reassemble.