Painting a Fiberglass Trailer Experiences

Old April 26th 05, 07:44 PM
ContestID67

Default Painting a Fiberglass Trailer Experiences

This is not a question, just a comment about a recent experience.

I have a fiberglass trailer that needed a repainting. After asking
around some trailer manufacturers the general conscensus was to use a
two part epoxy paint.

I ended up using Benjamin Moore M36/M37 gloss white tintable epoxy
paint. It costs about $100 for one gallon of part A and one gallon of
part B. Two gallons are said to cover 880 sq ft. It dries to 2mils so
it is significant protection. I started with a brush but it is so
thick that I had to switch to a roller for the broad flat surfaces.
Wear gloves and a hat. I got some in my hair and it may not go away
until I get my next hair cut. As it is tintable you can go with
something other than plain white for no extra charge.

All in all the trailer looks great and I recommend this solution.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/tds/1033/TDSM36M37.pdf

- John

Old April 26th 05, 08:39 PM
Jim Vincent

When I painted my trailer I used Easypoxy single part polyurethane. The
paint has held up well for two years now. No need to spray, use a mask,
etc.

Roll it on then cross brush to even out and get rid of the bubbles. Google
for "paint tipping."

Old April 27th 05, 10:35 PM

For those of you not addicted to the "Do it yourself" approach, I
recently had my 1984 Cobra (aluminum) trailer painted by Miracle Auto
Paint. The trailer paint was in terrible condition, flaking and pitted
from living under a tree for several years. Miracle did the whole job
for $1200 including prep, epoxy undercoat, acrylic auto paint, and
detailing.

The trailer looks fantastic, and while I would not want to make an
andorsement, I had my Volvo painted by them about three years ago, and
the paint job has held up very well.

Post-paint waxing is important.

Old April 28th 05, 05:44 PM
Go

My Cobra fiberglass top needs work too. Sometime in it's past someone
painted it with a poor paint and it is just turning to dust!

Anyway, I need to sand this old s... off.

Any recommendations regarding type of sander and grade of sand paper? I
am not much of a craftsman and do not want to damage, groove, or dent
the top.

Thanks

Old April 28th 05, 07:40 PM
John Sinclair

Any recommendations regarding type of sander and grade
of sand paper? I

I painted my Eberly, Libelle trailer top a few years
back. Sanded it with 60 grit on an 18 inch air-board.
Cheap air-boards are available for under $100 bucks,
but you need a source of high volume air at about 90+
PSI. Then I painted it with synthetic enamel with flatner
added so that the gloss wouldn't show all the imperfections
in the fiberglass and also my 60 grit sand marks. Looked
good and has held up well.
JJ