A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

The Apology

Old October 19th 20, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

Recently there was an apology issued from the SSA and the SSF and Editor for a so called offensive interpretation of the depiction of a historical portrayal of a young lady and a glider pilot on a previous edition of Soaring magazine. After reading the complaints from the women associated with the WSPA I decided it is now time to voice the other side of the story.
That depiction reminded me of the 1970's when I met my wife at the Kendall Gliderport in Miami . I was flying my Std. Cirrus and she was a student pilot for gliders. So to say that that depiction was sexist is completely ridiculous. The SSA should have never apologized because of an orchestrated attack on the publication , Editor, and the SSF.
The complainants are without merit, totally offbase and have a directive in place that only undermines the overall objective of the SSA, SSF, and Editor. You would think that this bunch of misfits, have no understanding of how this is an inclusive activity and not directed by any one gender.
Ladies, listen up, much has been done by the SSA and others to support women in the sport of flying gliders. Let me take a moment and share a story with you about compassion and inclusion.
During the past year we has a lady member whom became sick from a serious stage of cancer, a few of us at our club took notice and understood the severity of the situation and made it possible for this lady to achieve her goal of becoming a CFIG. We made sure that this was done at no cost, and guess what, she completed her CFIG even while on chemotherapy.
Sorry that you think the SSA must apologize for your mis-interpretation and misguided effort . I think that the lack of cognizance is appalling. Bob Youngblood
Old October 20th 20, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

Can someone post a scan of the ad in question? I saw the complaints in the recent magazine edition but had already discarded the offending magazine and apparently didn't take notice of the ad when I read it. I'd just like to see what all of the hubbub is about before drawing any conclusion.

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 5:11:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Recently there was an apology issued from the SSA and the SSF and Editor for a so called offensive interpretation of the depiction of a historical portrayal of a young lady and a glider pilot on a previous edition of Soaring magazine. After reading the complaints from the women associated with the WSPA I decided it is now time to voice the other side of the story.
That depiction reminded me of the 1970's when I met my wife at the Kendall Gliderport in Miami . I was flying my Std. Cirrus and she was a student pilot for gliders. So to say that that depiction was sexist is completely ridiculous. The SSA should have never apologized because of an orchestrated attack on the publication , Editor, and the SSF.
The complainants are without merit, totally offbase and have a directive in place that only undermines the overall objective of the SSA, SSF, and Editor. You would think that this bunch of misfits, have no understanding of how this is an inclusive activity and not directed by any one gender.
Ladies, listen up, much has been done by the SSA and others to support women in the sport of flying gliders. Let me take a moment and share a story with you about compassion and inclusion.
During the past year we has a lady member whom became sick from a serious stage of cancer, a few of us at our club took notice and understood the severity of the situation and made it possible for this lady to achieve her goal of becoming a CFIG. We made sure that this was done at no cost, and guess what, she completed her CFIG even while on chemotherapy.
Sorry that you think the SSA must apologize for your mis-interpretation and misguided effort . I think that the lack of cognizance is appalling. Bob Youngblood

Old October 20th 20, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim N
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

Try this:

http://ourdigitalmags.com/publicatio...&i=667760&p=16

If anyone finds this old ad offensive they must be having a really hard time coping with day to day "stuff"

Jim
Old October 20th 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 4:05:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Can someone post a scan of the ad in question? I saw the complaints in the recent magazine edition but had already discarded the offending magazine and apparently didn't take notice of the ad when I read it. I'd just like to see what all of the hubbub is about before drawing any conclusion.

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 5:11:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I would like to know what page it was on because I couldn't find it (I will scan it if I know where to look).

Tom
Old October 20th 20, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 5:21:25 PM UTC-7, Jim N wrote:
Try this:

If anyone finds this old ad offensive they must be having a really hard time coping with day to day "stuff"

Jim

That ad actually reflects reality. I have had many a conversation answering the question posed in the ad, mostly to other guys. Somebody's gain is turned up WAY TOO HIGH!

Tom
Old October 20th 20, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 7:21:25 PM UTC-5, Jim N wrote:
Try this:

Anybody got a link to the actual complaint?

Old October 20th 20, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

In my 47 years of soaring flight, (28 years in hang gliding, 20 in sailplanes) I have received thousands of queries about the advisability/possibility/safety etc. of flying without an engine. Most of the questions were asked by men, but a significant number were asked by women. Invariably the questioner was someone who simply had no knowledge of the sport at all, and were under the assumption that an aircraft simply could not fly without propulsion.

Often, a few minutes of explanation about flight dynamics and the ability to recognize energy sources in the atmosphere would educate the interested party sufficiently. Some actually were intrigued enough to pursue the concept to the point of taking a ride, taking lessons and even getting a license. A few continued to the point of adding ratings and I am proud to say that at several dozen of the initial questions resulted in military or commercial careers.

If simply answering an innocent question about a topic about which you have knowledge is somehow insulting, due to an insecure and suspicious attitude that the person asking feels inferior, then I suggest that anybody with any technical experience with anything from particle physics to auto mechanics is going to be castigated by the allegedly offended party.

In my mind, I think that those who complained about the ad in Soaring owe an apology to the person they first asked for information about flying sailplanes. And their Instructors, mentors, tow pilots and friends who ever gave them valuable advice.
Old October 20th 20, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

Perhaps the issue was not with the question but the "love story" comment at the bottom?

I would like more info as I try hard to be sensitive to any sexism. I admit that I didn't catch any issue when this was originally published.

Lou
Old October 20th 20, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

Perhaps it is because I was titillated by the artist rendition of the time period's women. The reality is the ladies were good sticks and way hotter!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d9QWyP4H3jCZYrUYA
Old October 20th 20, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
B BRIONES
external usenet poster

Default The Apology

I love America. I was born here, but having grown up in a country where the culture clearly defines and embraces the "Macho" man image, the ad in question does "NOT even faze me". I my opinion, men and women are built different and each has their own strengths and weaknesses. I guess that makes men & women equal but different at the same time. I also believe that men and women are superior in their respective areas but will never be the same.... I love being the "Alpha" at home, even though my wife disagrees with me on this.

To deviate a bit... Americans (specially the younger generation(s) following the greatest American Generation), in my opinion have become weak and lost focus on what is important, wasting time on petty stuff. While America is "still" the greatest nation on earth, if Americans does not wake up soon, we will end up in a nightmare...