bio-diesel hybrid future

Old August 27th 05, 01:33 PM
John T

Default bio-diesel hybrid future

I think bio-diesel is overblown. The premise of this stuff is to use
recycled cooking oil. Even if every resturaunt in the world recycled its
cooking oil, there simply isn't enough to meet the demand if that method
were to become poplar.

Old August 27th 05, 03:17 PM
Kyler Laird

John T writes:

I think bio-diesel is overblown. The premise of this stuff is to use
recycled cooking oil.

Yes, if you can only imagine fuels that are discarded from restaurants,
biodiesel has very limited potential. The future obviously belongs to
cardboard-powered cars.

--kyler
Old August 27th 05, 06:25 PM
Ian St. John

John T wrote:
I think bio-diesel is overblown.

I think that the problem with this statement is the "I think".

The premise of this stuff is to use
recycled cooking oil.

First error. Biodiosel has nothing to do with used cooking oil. That is a
way to recycle oils for cooking but it is more about recycling than about
biodiesel.

Even if every resturaunt in the world recycled
its cooking oil, there simply isn't enough to meet the demand if that
method were to become poplar.

Which is why biodiesel is about growing oil plants for fuel.

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html

Some, such as jojoba/jatropha are desert plants that can be grown in
moderate desert climates ( Sonoron desert gets 12-18", which is enough )
that are underutilised and get much larger yields times as much oil per acre
as crops such as corn or safflower.

"In 2003, Germany, France, Austria and Italy produced over two billion
litres of biodiesel, and in Germany and Austria, around 1700 service
stations now sell biodiesel."

"In the U.S., a blend of 20% biodiesel with 80% petro-diesel (referred to as
B20) is quite widely used, and 15 states have passed legislation favourable
to biodiesel. "

Note: A blend of up to 20% biodiesel has a disproportionate effect on
reducing diesel emissions, up to two or three times the level of input.

Old August 27th 05, 07:45 PM
LCT Paintball

You can certainly recycle cooking oil, and other kinds of oil, but most
biodiesel will be made from soybeans.

--
"Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
www.LCTPaintball.com

Old August 28th 05, 12:07 PM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-08-27, John T wrote:
I think bio-diesel is overblown. The premise of this stuff is to use
recycled cooking oil.

Biodiesel isn't JUST recycled cooking oil (that's only a tiny part of
it).
Biodiesel can be made from diverse things from algae (which can be grown
in a process that is more industrial than agricultural, and can make use
of industrial wasteland) to farm waste such as the offal discarded at
the abbatoir.

The point is fuels like biodiesel are carbon neutral and can help tide
us over whilst better alternatives are sought by reducing the amount of
oil required. It also runs *today* with the infrustructure we have right
now and the cars, truck, trains and buses we have right now.

At the moment, hydrogen solves nothing and creates many problems - the
only economical way of making it is with fossil fuels. Then there's no
good solution to actually storing it in a way the general public can
make use of it. That's not to say it won't ever be viable (it probably will)
but we're decades away from it. Biodiesel is practical today.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old August 28th 05, 08:48 PM
Harbin

You can grow your own by using algae.
http://www.unh.edu/p2/biodiesel/article_alge.html

Old September 1st 05, 01:07 PM
Jonathan Lowe

"John T" wrote in message
I think bio-diesel is overblown. The premise of this stuff is to use
recycled cooking oil. Even if every resturaunt in the world recycled its
cooking oil, there simply isn't enough to meet the demand if that method
were to become poplar.

John, rape-seed is being produces in SE Ireland for producing Bio-diesel. It
gives farmers another crop to grow.
--
..
..

Old September 2nd 05, 01:22 PM
James Annan

Jonathan Lowe wrote:

"John T" wrote in message

I think bio-diesel is overblown. The premise of this stuff is to use
recycled cooking oil. Even if every resturaunt in the world recycled its
cooking oil, there simply isn't enough to meet the demand if that method
were to become poplar.

John, rape-seed is being produces in SE Ireland for producing Bio-diesel. It
gives farmers another crop to grow.

In the UK, it is generally grown for the subsidy (at least, that used
to be the case).

James