A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Home Built
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Wiring diagram for mic?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 2nd 05, 01:15 PM
Gary G
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Wiring diagram for mic?

Would anyone be kind enough to point me to a wiring
diagram for a general aviation radio?

I need to know the pinout configurations and voltage
for the mic connection.

Thank you and regards in advace!

Gary
Ads
  #2  
Old November 2nd 05, 02:30 PM
Orval Fairbairn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Wiring diagram for mic?

In article ,
Gary G wrote:

Would anyone be kind enough to point me to a wiring
diagram for a general aviation radio?

I need to know the pinout configurations and voltage
for the mic connection.

Thank you and regards in advace!

Gary


There is VERY low voltage involved -- #22 AWG (shielded) wire will
suffice.

There are three hookups to the jack: Mike Key, Mike Audio and Mike Ring.

Ring goes to Ground

Key goes to a switch, which grounds the key circuit. This activates the
transmit relay in the radio.

Mike Audio passes straight through to the radio audio circuit and
carries the voice. This wire should be shielded, to reduce EM
interference.

IIRC, the audio is the tip of the jack; the key is the next position on
the jack. Ground is the outer (long) part of the jack. Check with a
circuit tester.
  #3  
Old November 2nd 05, 02:58 PM
Dave S
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Wiring diagram for mic?



Orval Fairbairn wrote:
IIRC, the audio is the tip of the jack; the key is the next position on
the jack. Ground is the outer (long) part of the jack. Check with a
circuit tester.


Good post, Orval, but I need to chime in. Mic Key/PTT is the tip. By
"grounding" the tip, the radio opens the transmit circuit.

The next ring is audio, and the long shaft is ground.

When I modified an existing headset to have a PTT on the right earcup, I
had to connect a wire from the .206" plug tip to the switch, which then
connected to a ground source inside the headset.

Dave

  #4  
Old November 2nd 05, 05:07 PM
RST Engineering
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Wiring diagram for mic?

Not quite, Orval. From the leading edge of the male connector (microphone
end as opposed to the aircraft end) the sections of the plug are tip, ring,
and shell.

Grounding the tip places the transceiver in the transmit mode; ungrounding
it (open) leaves the transceiver in the receive mode.

The ring carries the microphone audio (more later).

The shell is airframe or chassis ground.


The mic audio line coming from the transceiver is a current source that is
intended to provide a 300 ohm mic element with about 10 mA. Generally this
is a simple resistor fed from a quiet regulated supply inside the
transceiver. I usually use the +10 volt supply and a 680 ohm resistor. The
microphone circuit is designed to emulate a carbon microphone (variable
resistance with audio) and will give somewhere between half a volt and a
volt peak to peak with normal mic audio.


Jim




"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Gary G wrote:

There is VERY low voltage involved -- #22 AWG (shielded) wire will
suffice.

There are three hookups to the jack: Mike Key, Mike Audio and Mike Ring.

Ring goes to Ground

Key goes to a switch, which grounds the key circuit. This activates the
transmit relay in the radio.

Mike Audio passes straight through to the radio audio circuit and
carries the voice. This wire should be shielded, to reduce EM
interference.


  #5  
Old November 2nd 05, 05:14 PM
Orval Fairbairn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Wiring diagram for mic?

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

Not quite, Orval. From the leading edge of the male connector (microphone
end as opposed to the aircraft end) the sections of the plug are tip, ring,
and shell.

Grounding the tip places the transceiver in the transmit mode; ungrounding
it (open) leaves the transceiver in the receive mode.

The ring carries the microphone audio (more later).

The shell is airframe or chassis ground.


The mic audio line coming from the transceiver is a current source that is
intended to provide a 300 ohm mic element with about 10 mA. Generally this
is a simple resistor fed from a quiet regulated supply inside the
transceiver. I usually use the +10 volt supply and a 680 ohm resistor. The
microphone circuit is designed to emulate a carbon microphone (variable
resistance with audio) and will give somewhere between half a volt and a
volt peak to peak with normal mic audio.

I stand corrected. Thank you, Jim and Dave. I was trying to recall from
memory -- obviously, it has been awhile.

They say that memory is the second thing to go -- I forget what the
first is. :)

BTW, some mikes have a dual switch -- one that closes both the audio and
key circuits, but not headsets.

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Gary G wrote:

There is VERY low voltage involved -- #22 AWG (shielded) wire will
suffice.

There are three hookups to the jack: Mike Key, Mike Audio and Mike Ring.

Ring goes to Ground

Key goes to a switch, which grounds the key circuit. This activates the
transmit relay in the radio.

Mike Audio passes straight through to the radio audio circuit and
carries the voice. This wire should be shielded, to reduce EM
interference.

  #6  
Old November 3rd 05, 03:21 PM
Gary G
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Wiring diagram for mic?

AWESOME! Thank you.

Of course - I apperently "SPAMMED" everyone to get this
because it was in more than one group - places
where other people might check and not check this one.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring diagram for GA radio/mic? Gary G General Aviation 15 November 23rd 05 03:33 PM
Wiring diagram for GA mic Gary G Piloting 0 November 2nd 05 01:15 PM
LX1000 Wiring Diagram Luke Roberts Soaring 2 April 18th 05 09:26 AM
ball 101A wiring diagram coneil Soaring 4 June 22nd 04 06:55 AM
King KMA-26 Wiring Diagram Keith Dobbins General Aviation 0 August 23rd 03 04:03 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.