"An Airplane In Every Garage"

Old November 17th 05, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default "An Airplane In Every Garage"

I missed this article when it first appeared.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Flyin...=949148&page=1

Is it possible for the Light Sport category to revive that old slogan
of "An Airplane In Every Garage" in order to bolster the number of GA
pilots?

AJ

Old November 17th 05, 10:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 16 Nov 2005 20:59:44 -0800, "AJ" wrote:

Is it possible for the Light Sport category to revive that old slogan
of "An Airplane In Every Garage" in order to bolster the number of GA
pilots?

Interesting twice in Sport Pilot category: it becomes impossible to
know whether a pilot is active.

In the case of George Bush or Dudley Henriques, we know from the "no
current medical" that the pilot (probably) no longer flies.

So for all practical purposes, the number of pilot certificates
granted now becomes the number of pilots there are. Does the FAA even
purge its files when the pilot dies?

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old November 17th 05, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

AJ wrote:
I missed this article when it first appeared.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Flyin...=949148&page=1

Is it possible for the Light Sport category to revive that old slogan
of "An Airplane In Every Garage" in order to bolster the number of GA
pilots?

AJ

Not sure whether to respond with "no" or "hell no" here....Hrm... Ok,
yeah, I'll go with "hell no"....

The darlings of the Sport Pilot rule - SLSA and ELSA - are already
priced well beyond affordability even in 2005 dollars and even beyond
acceptable bang/buck.

Bottom dollar for an SLSA is about 70 large already and I don't see that
figure coming down in the forseeable future (and it'll likely go up!).
ELSA are going to be around the same price......

In fact, some manufacturers/dealers (such as Kolb aircraft) have already
withdrawn their initial offerings into this market due to low demand.
Some are stepping out and trying it out such as Rans who are now
offering an "LSA" version of the S7 Courier (not clear from the website
exactly what certification it has tho. Might be worth a phone call to
find out). But it's 75 grand (I think you could get a quick build of the
same plane for a little more than half that). Zenith has an actual SLSA
on the market now (genuine SLSA certification) but it's 80 grand too.

Slim pickin's indeed........

Instead, most aircraft that will be flown under the rule at least in the
visible future will be standard category a/c and experimental A/B a/c
that fit within the LSA limitations.

I don't see Sport Pilot or LSA making much headway here at least not for
a long time, and even then it still looks like solidly the domain of
rich people only.....

LS
N646F
Old November 17th 05, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Is it possible for the Light Sport category to revive that old slogan
of "An Airplane In Every Garage" in order to bolster the number of GA
pilots?

No reason it shouldn't.

With the proper marketing campaign (maybe AOPA & EAA can team up on this?)
we should be attracting far more people to flying.

Is anyone doing any instructing in light sport aircraft yet? (I have seen
none in my area, yet.) What do they cost per hour to operate? It's got to
be pretty affordable, no?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 17th 05, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"AJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
I missed this article when it first appeared.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Flyin...=949148&page=1

Is it possible for the Light Sport category to revive that old slogan
of "An Airplane In Every Garage" in order to bolster the number of GA
pilots?

AJ

Most people don't have the common sense or cognitive ability to fly a plane.
Hell most people shouldn't be given drivers licenses.

--------------------------------------
DW

Old November 17th 05, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 16 Nov 2005 20:59:44 -0800, "AJ" wrote in
.com::

I missed this article when it first appeared.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Flyin...=949148&page=1

John J. Nance says:

Perhaps the greatest disappointment with the predictions of
yesterday, however, was the fact that the "everyman" aviation
system it envisioned was at least 75 years ahead of its time
because the automated technology required to keep a sky full of
citizen flyers from crashing into each other is still at least a
quarter-century away. In other words, the vision of millions of us
jumping into our airplanes and flying off with the ease and
freedom of driving somewhere was never valid, and for those who
plan and protect the nation's airspace, it's more of a nightmare
than a dream.

Hasn't he heard of Small Aircraft Transportation System technology?

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstud..._for_Taxi.html

http://sats.larc.nasa.gov/main.html
The SATS Vision

The small aircraft transportation vision is a safe travel
alternative freeing people and products from transportation system
delays, by creating access to more communities in less time.

This technology is in operation today.

If an aviation journalist is unaware of the plan to revitalize
municipal airport usage, it's no wonder that city planners are blindly
closing the airports that SATS depends upon for success.

Old November 17th 05, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

AJ wrote:

Is it possible for the Light Sport category to revive that old slogan
of "An Airplane In Every Garage" in order to bolster the number of GA
pilots?

Revive the slogan? Sure. Make the slogan come true? Not a chance.

George Patterson
If a tank is out of ammunition, what you have is a sixty ton portable
radio.
Old November 17th 05, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:57:20 -0500, "Darkwing"
theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in
: :

Most people don't have the common sense or cognitive ability to fly a plane.
Hell most people shouldn't be given drivers licenses.

Given the fact that half of the population has a 2-digit IQ, I have to
agree.
Old November 17th 05, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

AJ wrote:

I missed this article when it first appeared.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Flyin...=949148&page=1

Is it possible for the Light Sport category to revive that old slogan
of "An Airplane In Every Garage" in order to bolster the number of GA
pilots?

Think about all the idiots sharing the roads, would you really want all
these morons flying airplanes? I agree that we want to significantly
increase the number of private pilots, but "An Airplane In Every Garage"
would be a disaster. I look at it like people trying to come up with a
computer programming language that anyone can use to write programs,
it's just not going to happen. There are required skills that many
people just can't grasp.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Old November 17th 05, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Is anyone doing any instructing in light sport aircraft yet? (I have seen
none in my area, yet.) What do they cost per hour to operate? It's got
to be pretty affordable, no?

See eBay item 4587252624

I'm still considering getting a Sport-CFI added to my PP. It may be a while
though...

-Greg B.