Landing strip off of Port O Connor, TX?

Old January 24th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Landing strip off of Port O Connor, TX?

When I and my brothers were kids our dad (deceased) used to fly us
down to the Gulf Coast several times during the Summer in the family
C-182. We'd go fishing, catch loads of Sheepshead and sunburn, play on
the deserted beach and fly back to San Antonio.
I would like to go back to this dirt/gravel/seashell landing strip
someday soon. I am checked out at Sugarland (near Houston) in their
C-172s though I believe there may be a rental contract restriction on
non-published and/or dirt/grass or closed etc fields.
My point is does anyone know of this landing strip near the granite
jettys (sp?) and the ship channel off of Port O Connor, TX? I know
there was/is an old airport (Armed Service training base to the west
of the landing strip?) in the vicinity that was closed and there also
used to be (or may still be) a runway in the city of Port O Connor, we
used to land and buy live shrimp bait there before going to the strip
off the coast. It was a single, narrow landing strip several miles off
of Port O Connor. I'd look at a sectional but have none handy and
doubt that this landing strip would be on it anyway.
Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to
make a trip down there this Summer.
Heck, I'll just fly down and look for it (can't be too hard to find as
my childhood recollections would probably quickly return) but if
someone could at least point me in the right direction it would be
helpful.

Thanks,
Ricky
Old January 24th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ricky Summersett wrote:

My point is does anyone know of this landing strip near the granite
jettys (sp?) and the ship channel off of Port O Connor, TX?

Thanks,
Ricky

Try www.airnav.com and go to the advanced search feature, make sure you
check "private" for type of airfield in addition to "public". You can do
a radius search from a known point, such as a town or other airport.

You can look at Google Maps to try and zoom in on the area in question
and determine any other landmarks by satellite imagery
http://maps.google.com

And there is a website of abandoned airfieds that may have data related
to your request... http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Airfields_TX.htm

Happy hunting,
Dave
KEFD - Ellington Field
Old January 24th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ricky Summersett wrote in
:

[...]

Looking through Google Maps I see a couple of canidates, one straight
"road/strip" which points right toward Rockport, and an "X" up the coast
a bit. Let me know what you find out, I'd love to do the same thing
someday when I finish building my plane. BTW you would very likely be
violating the terms of your rental agreement taking a rented 172 on an
uncharted strip, I've heard many rental agreements do not allow landing
at a non- hard surface runway at all.

Good luck, and let us know.
--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams