Why didn't the Cessna 337 make it?

Old February 27th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Why didn't the Cessna 337 make it?

Looking at the design of the C377, it seems like it should have been more of
a winner. Why did it flop?

Dallas

Old February 27th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It made a poor multi trainer for FBOs because the FAA would not issue
"full" multiengine ratings to students who took their checkrides in it.

-Robert

Old February 28th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Just what did the FAA issue then?

Old February 28th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just what did the FAA issue then?

A multi-engine rating limited to centerline thrust.

Old February 28th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Just what did the FAA issue then?

A 'centerline only' thrust limitation to the ME rating.

Old February 28th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Just what did the FAA issue then?
A 'centerline only' thrust limitation to the ME rating.

Not only that, but if you have a regular multiengine rating, you still
can't fly the thing unless you get a type rating (or somesuch) for it.

Jose
Old February 28th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Not true I think.
If you had a multi-engine rating, a normal checkout was FAA approved if I
remember correctly. I don't believe the center line thrust rating was
mandatory above the regular multi if already held.
Dudley Henriques

. com...

Old February 28th 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote in message
. com...
Not only that, but if you have a regular multiengine rating, you still
can't fly the thing unless you get a type rating (or somesuch) for it.

Not true.

Old February 28th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:
Just what did the FAA issue then?

A 'centerline only' thrust limitation to the ME rating.

Not only that, but if you have a regular multiengine rating, you still
can't fly the thing unless you get a type rating (or somesuch) for it.

Jose

"Centerline thrust only" is a limitation, not a priveledge.

The 336, 337 and 0-2 did not require a type rating.

Dave
Old February 28th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Not correct, at least in the USA. There are some jets that
don't have a Vmca as such because the engines are so close
to the centerline and although they have two engines, they
don't meet the FAA requirement for issuing an unrestricted
multiengine certificate. If you obtain your multiengine
certificate in such an airplane you are issued a multiengine
rating with the centerline thrust limitation. But as it is
a turbojet/12.5 gw, a type rating is required also.

The Cessna 337 is lighter than the weight floor for
requiring a type rating and it is not a turbojet.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support