Hanger design

Old October 26th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
stevehaley

Default Hanger design

In my travels around Europe I have seen several examples of hanging
gliders from the hanger roof - Is it possible to have an arrangement
where you could actually extract the glider that is hanging without
disturbing the glider(s) on the floor of the hanger? IE an I beam on
the ceiling which the hoist could travel along similar to what
warehouses in olden days had..
In addition would appreciate feedback on where the electric hoist
equipment can be sourced and anyones experience with these systems or
any other hanger designs that could be recomended for private owners.
Pictures would be appreciated.
rgds
Stephen

Old October 26th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Stephen,

We have a setup much like what you describe below at Stanton Airfield in
Minnesota. The Minnesota Soaring Club hangs 3 or 4 gliders in the main
hangar. We keep other gliders on the ground in other hangars. An I-beam
extends outside of the building so that you could roll the glider out and
lower it outside of the hangar. Most of the time we move the power planes
out from underneath it and lower it inside the hangar - out of the wind. It
has a nice winch setup with an "I" shaped bar that supports 2 very large
straps that go under the fuselage.

I don't think I have any good photos of the setup. You can see details on
the club he http://www.soarmn.com/msc/

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

oups.com...

Old October 26th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

The design is similar to old barns that had an I beam cantilevered outside
with a pulley or crane running on a track.

The only limitation of this approach is that it will not work with a typical
vertical lift door. You need to have sliding doors. The other thing you
need to worry about is to make sure that you have the proper vertical
support for the beam, as the forces will be quite large as you roll the
glider out of the hanger. One approach is to use a cable from the end of
the beam to a gable on the hanger.

Mike Schumann

Old October 26th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Here is a link to a great company that has almost everything you would need:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Mike Schumann

Old October 26th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Many of the electric chain hoists available on EBay are not wired for
*single phase* 110 or 220 vac. Lots of them use only 3-phase power or 440
vac etc. I finally gave up EBay and ordered a 1-ton Dayton chain hoist
on-line to lift a Husky A1-B . . . not cheap at $1800.

For most gliders, you don't need that much lifting capability. Harbor
Freight sells a wire rope electric hoist in several capacities. For my
ASH26E, I'm using two of their 1300 lb capacity (double line and the biggest
they have) that cost about $150 USD each. Plenty of reserve capacity. The
two slings are 18" wide nylon from McMaster-Car with spreaders fabricated to
direct the load straight vertical.

I have no need to move the glider or Husky once they are in the air, so the
hoists are not on overhead tracks. Lifting them just makes it possible to
get other aircraft in or out of the hangar without shuffling airplanes. It
also makes maintenance easier.

The hangar beams were reinforced to accommodate the 1 ton Husky lift, the
glider hoists didn't require that. I'm sure different hangar designs will
present unique problems when figuring out how to lift aircraft. Consider
dead and live roof loading and try to spread the additional load over as
large a roof area as possible. Because micro-bursts and snow are a concern,
I rarely store the glider or Husky suspended in the air for long periods.

Glider is transported sideways the 1/2 mile from the hangar to the ramp on
a hydraulic lift tow-out rig that's pushed by golf cart. With more than 3
years of use, the tow out (er, push-out) rig is working just fine. Not sure
if there's interest, but was thinking about writing an article for Soaring
mag on the devices.

--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

link.net...