Colorado CAP searches

Old January 2nd 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Default Colorado CAP searches

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the CAP searches for stranded
motorists. They kept making the national news for a few days. Good
PR.

Anyone here one of the pilots involved? Anyone know if they found any
people?

Thanks!
Kev

Old January 3rd 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kev wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the CAP searches for stranded
motorists. They kept making the national news for a few days. Good
PR.

Anyone here one of the pilots involved? Anyone know if they found any
people?

Thanks!
Kev

Blush, I was one of the search and rescue pilots. I believe
Colorado Wing is credited with 20 finds and 4 saves.

My crew found a jack-knifed 18-wheeler about 25 miles south of
La Junta, Colorado on Colorado Highway 109. We coordinated with a
national guard helicopter and they flew the trucker to a nearby
hospital.

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer at frii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old January 3rd 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kev wrote:

wrote:
Blush, I was one of the search and rescue pilots.

Good for you! Did you fly out of Ft Collins or ?

Thank you! I flew out of FNL - Fort Collins / Loveland Airport.
We flew 1.0 hours to Colorado Springs/Peterson Air Force Base
for tasking, then flew the first half our our sortie, searching
2 of our 4 grids before lunch. Lunch/fuel at Pueblo (PUB),
then our 3rd and 4th grid, then back to FNL. 8.5 hours total time.
Our find was in grid #3.

I believe
Colorado Wing is credited with 20 finds and 4 saves.

What's the diff between a "find" and a "save" ? If there's a person
involved or ??

A find is when the target is located. The people may not
be there, or had self-recovered, or may be deceased.
A "save" is where a life is saved that would otherwise have
been lost if that particular "find" had not happened.

My crew found a jack-knifed 18-wheeler about 25 miles south of
La Junta, Colorado on Colorado Highway 109. We coordinated with a
national guard helicopter and they flew the trucker to a nearby
hospital.

One of the crew took a picture of the rig and the SOS stamped out
in the snow.

CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer at frii.com
http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old January 3rd 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

GeorgeC wrote:
Did you get a find for the truck. I read about a crew getting a find for a
train.

Yes, my crew found a target. So, we got a find.
The trucker survived and was flown to a nearby hospital,
and would likely not have survived had we not located him.

A find for a truck. That's cool.

I live for this!

Jer/

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:21:26 -0000, wrote:

Blush, I was one of the search and rescue pilots. I believe
Colorado Wing is credited with 20 finds and 4 saves.

My crew found a jack-knifed 18-wheeler about 25 miles south of
La Junta, Colorado on Colorado Highway 109. We coordinated with a
national guard helicopter and they flew the trucker to a nearby
hospital.

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"

GeorgeC

CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer at frii.com
http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old January 4th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

One of the crew took a picture of the rig and the SOS stamped out
in the snow.

First, let me say a BIG, "Way to Go!"

Do you have a way to post some of your search and rescue pictures? If no
other way, try: alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
--
Jim in NC

Old January 4th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GeorgeC

So you got a save! That great. The save is nice, but helping to saving someone
life is great. Good work.

Old January 4th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

wrote in message ...
Kev wrote:

wrote:
[...]

If you email the pics, I will put them on my myspace site and post the link
here.

Danny Deger

Old January 4th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

By you request, I have posted the picture at:

http://users.frii.com/jer/CAP_save_31Dec07_DSC_2943.JPG

I'll keep it up until the end of February.

You can see the SOS in the snow, the trucker standing on top
of his hood, flashing us with the mirror. It is about 3:20PM.
North is to the top of the picture.

This is ~25 miles south of La Junta, Colorado on Colorado Highway
109.

We had a guard chopper to him within an hour, and he was evacuated
to the La Junta Hospital. I have not heard more, and I will never
know who this was, nor any other details.

The Civil Air Patrol airplane was a Cessna-182, N9849H, callsign
Cap Flight 549, based at Fort Collins - Loveland Airport (FNL),
about 60 miles north of Denver.

I was the pilot, and I had an observer in the right seat, and
another observer in the left back seat.

Jer/

wrote