5 Canceled Flights in a Row

Old April 1st 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default 5 Canceled Flights in a Row

What a period of weather! We've been forced to cancel 5 scenic
airplane rides in a row, over the last week, due to high winds, low
ceilings, and bad visibility.

Needless to say, we've had a lot of disappointed couples who were
really looking forward to a romantic sunset ride over the city. In
some cases, it was to have been their first airplane ride. And, of
course, issuing refunds on a service that we sell "at cost" is always
painful. (The credit card companies get us both ways, going in and
coming out...)

I'm starting to understand why we're the only hotel in America that
sells airplane rides. No one else is dumb enough to do it!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 1st 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

I'm starting to understand why we're the only hotel in America that
sells airplane rides. No one else is dumb enough to do it!

Who does the flying?

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 1st 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

I'm starting to understand why we're the only hotel in America that
sells airplane rides.

Commercial operation?

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 1st 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I'm starting to understand why we're the only hotel in America that
sells airplane rides. No one else is dumb enough to do it!

Who does the flying?

It varies, but Jet-Air, Inc. provides the pilots and aircraft.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 1st 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I'm starting to understand why we're the only hotel in America that
sells airplane rides.

Commercial operation?

Not us. We act as an agent for our local airport FBO, Jet-Air. We
sell "boarding passes" for $75, for a 30-minute instructional ride.

Jet-Air, in turn, bills us $75. We act as a flow-through, and do not
make money on the deal. In fact, by the time you factor in our
credit card fees, the time spent setting up the flights, the ride to/
from the airport, we're losing money -- but it's worth it to spread
the good word about GA.

Well, usually it is... This week, I'm not so sure.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 1st 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

We've been forced to cancel 5 scenic
airplane rides in a row, over the last week, due to high winds, low
ceilings, and bad visibility.

Hey! I thought you had the statistics to prove this never happens
gd&r

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 1st 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

We've been forced to cancel 5 scenic
airplane rides in a row, over the last week, due to high winds, low
ceilings, and bad visibility.

Hey! I thought you had the statistics to prove this never happens
gd&r

Not to him. Perhaps Jay should get his commercial rating. :-)

--
Bob Noel
(gave up looking for a particular sig the lawyer will hate)

Old April 1st 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Hey! I thought you had the statistics to prove this never happens
gd&r

Well, we've apparently used up our 5.2% IFR for the entire next
year...

;-)

Actually, the conditions here have been VFR much of the time -- but
who the heck wants to go on a "scenic" airplane ride with winds
gusting to 49 knots?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 1st 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Ok Jay... you need to move???

Last Day of March.. departed about 3pm with a two thousand foot AGL tow.
Soared up to 10K MSL, about 7K AGL and traveled to a remote town 12 miles
away and returned.
Not a straight route.. almost a circle hitting points to the right of course
in each direction.
Landed 1 hr and 10 minutes later back at the starting airport. I could have
stayed up longer but someone was waiting for the glider.

Yes.. in a glider... but Jay knew that... low performance Schweizer 1-26D,
built in the late 1970s, 13meter, 23/1 L/d, climbing on average about
400-500fpm at 40-45mph and straight glides between 55-60mph.. except for the
return trip. Enough altitude to fly at 70-80mph and still get back.

Bill

ups.com...

Old April 1st 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gregg Germain

Jay Honeck wrote:

What a period of weather! We've been forced to cancel 5 scenic
airplane rides in a row, over the last week, due to high winds, low
ceilings, and bad visibility.

Once one gets involved in aviation..or sailing for that matter....one has
to learn to ride with the weather punches....or go mad.

My last 2 acro rides were rained out. I have 3 sked for this week and
already the forecast put two of then in the rain as well.

Gregg

cheap air flights [email protected] Owning 0 January 19th 06 02:12 AM
Just think about those old mail flights clyde woempner Piloting 4 January 19th 05 03:12 AM
Zero-G flights in FL Ross Oliver Piloting 4 September 20th 04 06:46 PM
P47 flights Regnirps Military Aviation 0 May 29th 04 04:15 AM
how I map my flights Snowbird Instrument Flight Rules 10 November 30th 03 11:26 PM