Autogas Tips and Tricks

Old April 27th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al[_2_]

Default Autogas Tips and Tricks

With 100LL now creeping toward the $5 mark (or more), it's time to
take advantage of the Peterson autogas STC in our 172E. What are the
tips and tricks for operating with mogas. Different run-up
techniques? Taxiing, hi temperatures, vapor lock avoidance, winter
ops. You name it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Al
1964 172E
KSFF
Old April 27th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Al wrote:
With 100LL now creeping toward the $5 mark (or more), it's time to
take advantage of the Peterson autogas STC in our 172E. What are the
tips and tricks for operating with mogas. Different run-up
techniques? Taxiing, hi temperatures, vapor lock avoidance, winter
ops. You name it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Trick number 1, find autogas without alcohol in it these days.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Old April 27th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Helen

As mentioned, the ethanol thing is a problem. Cessna Pilot's
Association recommends using a 50/50 mixture of 100LL and auto fuel in
your O300. It more closely matches the 80 your O300 was designed for
than anything else out there. I did until I moved to an ethanol state.
After moving and having to burn state 100LL I discovered the joy of
stuck valves. Now I add MMO or TCP to the expense of 100LL.

There is an advisory for the O300 about vapor lock and the CPA
recommends flying only on one tank anytime above 5000' so you can easily
clear the lock.

I got the EAA STC. It was $145 for my O300 C172F. No work to it other
than the paperwork and sticker application.

You'll find a lot more advice on this on the CPA forum: www.cessna.org
Calling the CPA tech guys is also a good thing.

Oh yeah, MoGas also voids the warranties on cylinder overhauls and such.
Of course the MMO alternative voids that and potentially your
insurance as well. You just have to decide if you'd rather have a
warranty or a working engine.

Helen

PS. There's good reading about MoGas STCs on the EAA page.

Old April 27th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Al wrote:

With 100LL now creeping toward the $5 mark (or more), it's time to
take advantage of the Peterson autogas STC in our 172E. What are the
tips and tricks for operating with mogas. Different run-up
techniques? Taxiing, hi temperatures, vapor lock avoidance, winter
ops. You name it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Al
1964 172E
KSFF

In my plane, if I have been flying, then let it sit on a hot ramp, I
have to apply the boost pump to get the overcome vapor pressure.

Everything is fine for flight -- as long as there is air flowing through
the engine compartment.
Old April 27th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Al wrote:
With 100LL now creeping toward the $5 mark (or more), it's time to
take advantage of the Peterson autogas STC in our 172E. What are the
tips and tricks for operating with mogas. Different run-up
techniques? Taxiing, hi temperatures, vapor lock avoidance, winter
ops. You name it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Al
1964 172E
KSFF

Find someplace where the autogas mixture is not prohibited by the FAA.

-robert