Did anyone attend SNF '08?

Old April 16th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default Did anyone attend SNF '08?

I haven't seen any PIREPs about Sun N Fun in this forum this year. Did
anyone go? Any new toys? Did anyone buttonhole AvMap about their recent
announcement of XM weather coming "soon"? (Something we've been hearing
from them for years, now.)

Some locals who attended said that the bad early-week weather really chopped
fly-in attendance, but that the weekend airshow crowd was very strong...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 16th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pittss1c

Jay Honeck wrote:
I haven't seen any PIREPs about Sun N Fun in this forum this year. Did
anyone go? Any new toys? Did anyone buttonhole AvMap about their
recent announcement of XM weather coming "soon"? (Something we've been
hearing from them for years, now.)

Some locals who attended said that the bad early-week weather really
chopped fly-in attendance, but that the weekend airshow crowd was very
strong...

I went... (I was the one with the crying babies in the homebuilt camping
area...sorry)
I thought it was a pretty low key show... nothing too interesting in the
airshow (I could have lived without the thunderchickens) There is a lot
more dead time during the airshow then Oshkosh.
The only thing I thought was sort of interesting is that there was a
company selling a wire free hobbs that uses engine vibration for 22
bucks. Other then that, there were a lot of affordable $120,000 LSAs
that are going to save GA I guess. I am not sure who is buying them.

Mike
Old April 16th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-16, pittss1c wrote:
Other then that, there were a lot of affordable $120,000 LSAs that are
going to save GA I guess. I am not sure who is buying them.

AMD is selling all the Zodiacs they can build.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old April 16th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

Had I gone, I would probably have spent a day with Aspen Avionics.
That's a really exciting product, from my POV.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 16th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

"pittss1c" wrote in message
The only thing I thought was sort of interesting is that there was a
company selling a wire free hobbs that uses engine vibration for 22
bucks.
Mike

Got a link or name for that? Sounds interesting.
Jim

Old April 16th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

I haven't seen any PIREPs about Sun N Fun in this forum

That's because the system doesn't publish pireps for socila events,
fjukktard.

this year.
Did anyone go? Any new toys? Did anyone buttonhole AvMap about their
recent announcement of XM weather coming "soon"?

Yeah, that's what Sun n Fun is all about, video games.

Bertie
Old April 16th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_1_]

On Apr 16, 11:11*am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
I haven't seen any PIREPs about Sun N Fun in this forum this year. *Did
anyone go? *Any new toys? *Did anyone buttonhole AvMap about their recent
announcement of XM weather coming "soon"? *(Something we've been hearing
from them for years, now.)

Some locals who attended said that the bad early-week weather really chopped
fly-in attendance, but that the weekend airshow crowd was very strong...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Jay,

I went for one day and as soon as I walked in, I came upon the LSA
Mall and the first plane there was the Flight Design CTLS, one of the
planes high on my list to see. I did not have the time to arrange a
demo flight due to family considerations, but I probably spent more
than 3 hours looking at the plane and talking to people about it. I
especially enjoyed talking to 3 - 4 people who own and fly the plane
and I was encouraged by how enthusiastic they were. I sat in it and
in the Skycatcher, other LSAs, and for me the CTLS took the contest.
Despite all I had read, I was surprised at the amount of real room in
the cockpit, especially at shoulder level. I am now seriously working
on making the money work to buy one.

I was there on Thursday and I thought the airshow was decent enough.
It was my first chance to see the T-birds do a practice show. It
didn’t seem quite up to presentation level in terms of timing and
tempo (crimeny - they spent almost 30 mins on the ground after engine
start, with a lot a lot of Jet-A being burned) Once in the air, they
were, as usual, fun to watch. The maximum performance turns make my
eyes water when you consider the size and weight of the plane. The
added bonuses was the straight up departure of the media flight
(oooooohhh man, wonder how many bags the media rep had to use) and
that after the practice show, a number of T-birds remained in the air
to continue practice so I had some extra chances to try for that AvWeb
"photo of the week" shot.

As I walked to the car, I stopped for what I thought would be a moment
to watch the ultralights flying approaches to their runway. A half an
hour later, I was still there enjoying it.

I haven’t been to Oshkosh (yet), but for me . . . I had a blast at Sun
'n Fun.

Blue skies . . .

John
Old April 16th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I went for one day and as soon as I walked in, I came upon the LSA
Mall and the first plane there was the Flight Design CTLS, one of the
planes high on my list to see.

snip of good stuff

Thanks for the PIREP, John. I've always had a great time at SNF, and worry
when I hear things like "the attendance was way down", for fear that the
organizers might throw in the towel...

I, too, have been very impressed with the CT, and was lucky to test-fly it
in '06. It's got more shoulder room than my Pathfinder, fantastic
visibility, car-like engine management, and is great fun to fly. It's the
slickest LSA on the market, IMHO.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 16th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 16, 8:11*am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
I haven't seen any PIREPs about Sun N Fun in this forum this year. *Did
anyone go? *Any new toys? *Did anyone buttonhole AvMap about their recent
announcement of XM weather coming "soon"? *(Something we've been hearing
from them for years, now.)

No, I heard no one showed up. Just empty tents.

-Robert
Old April 16th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pittss1c

Jim Burns wrote:
"pittss1c" wrote in message
The only thing I thought was sort of interesting is that there was a
company selling a wire free hobbs that uses engine vibration for 22
bucks.
Mike

Got a link or name for that? Sounds interesting.
Jim

I think the company was
http://www.psaenterprises.com/
Not much of a website.