Douglas Pitcairn, Luftwaffe Pilot

Old July 12th 04, 02:14 AM
JDupre5762

Default Douglas Pitcairn, Luftwaffe Pilot

I have recently learned about Douglas Pitcairn a Luftwaffe pilot who flew with
the Condor Legion in Spain. The article didn't describe how someone with such
an English sounding name ended up in Spain. At first I thought he might be an
English volunteer for Franco but since the Condor Legion was really an all
German show and now I learn that Pitcairn flew for the Luftwaffe in France I
realize he must have been a German citizen. I am more intriqued than ever.

Who was he and how did he get his name? Did he survive WW2?

John Dupre'
Old July 12th 04, 03:44 AM
Tex Houston

"JDupre5762" wrote in message
I have recently learned about Douglas Pitcairn a Luftwaffe pilot who flew

with
the Condor Legion in Spain. The article didn't describe how someone with

such
an English sounding name ended up in Spain. At first I thought he might

be an
English volunteer for Franco but since the Condor Legion was really an all
German show and now I learn that Pitcairn flew for the Luftwaffe in France

realize he must have been a German citizen. I am more intriqued than

ever.

Who was he and how did he get his name? Did he survive WW2?

John Dupre'

If I recall he was the German Fighter Director for the Polesti "Tidal Wave"
raid as Uzal Ent was the American commander. I believe he was Douglas
Pitcairn of Perthshire. The English and German 'royals' were related. This
is from memory and I do not know if all is recalled correctly. Google is
your friend.

Tex

Old July 12th 04, 02:03 PM
Yann D

This what I've found in a newsgroup.
Of course, there is no official credit to those statements, however, the
author nicknamed (?) Many Souffan seems pretty confident in his writings
Funny this guy allegedly invented the famous Micky Maus insigna.

Yann
-------
Douglas Pitcairn was the second Staffel Kapitan of the 3/J88 from april to
the end of July 1937 (he was replaced by Dolfo Galland,) he was the man who
introduced the famous Micky Maus insignia for the 3/J88. He never claimed a
victory during the spanish tour.

the 1st september 39, Haupt Douglas Pitcairn took the command of the 1/JG51
till 5th august 1940 where he had a serious accident just before to take
off. His White 1 entered in collision with the White 8 of Fw Willi gasthaus.

During this period he shot down 4 aircrafts: 25/9/39 a Curtiss Hawk H75 of
GC II/4, 21/5/40 a Hurricane maybe of 253 Sqn. But not sure, possibly also
it can be a French fighter, many were shot down in this aera this same day.
For these 2 victories Douglas Pitcairn had as Wingman Heinz Bär ( a future
experte with 221 victories).

The two last victories are the 23/5/40 near Arras against a Dewoitine 520 of
GC I/3 and the 6/6/40 against a French bomber Léo 451 probably of GB II/31.

After his accident he never flew again and served in different Jafü.

Old July 12th 04, 05:18 PM
robert arndt

"Tex Houston" wrote in message ...
"JDupre5762" wrote in message
I have recently learned about Douglas Pitcairn a Luftwaffe pilot who flew

with
the Condor Legion in Spain. The article didn't describe how someone with

such
an English sounding name ended up in Spain. At first I thought he might

be an
English volunteer for Franco but since the Condor Legion was really an all
German show and now I learn that Pitcairn flew for the Luftwaffe in France

realize he must have been a German citizen. I am more intriqued than

ever.

Who was he and how did he get his name? Did he survive WW2?

John Dupre'

Douglas Pitcairn was the second Staffel Kapitan of the 3/J88 from
April to the end of July 1937 (he was replaced by Adolf Galland,) he
[...]

(provisional information taken from another board)
Rob

p.s. Pitcairn was the first to score a kill for 1/JG51
Old July 12th 04, 05:49 PM
ian maclure

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 01:14:02 +0000, JDupre5762 wrote:

I have recently learned about Douglas Pitcairn a Luftwaffe pilot who flew with
the Condor Legion in Spain. The article didn't describe how someone with such
an English sounding name ended up in Spain. At first I thought he might be an
English volunteer for Franco but since the Condor Legion was really an all
German show and now I learn that Pitcairn flew for the Luftwaffe in France I
realize he must have been a German citizen. I am more intriqued than ever.

Who was he and how did he get his name? Did he survive WW2?

He was probably the offspring of a German mother and
Scottish father. Not an uncommon thing.
For instance there was, I understand, in the Kaiser's War
an Austrian airman with the fine German name of Robert
Thompson. He was low on their ace's list.

I can imagine that looking at a roster of American military
the Germans might have wondered aloud at the irony.
Eisenhower for instance? Spaatz? etc.

And don't forget the pride of the USN. Able Seaman Hitler
( who, if he had any sense of humo(u)r at all should have
joined the US Army and tried for Corporal ).

Drill Sergeant: OK, recruits listen up we're going to explain
to you why you're here....
Corporal Hitler carry on....

IBM

IBM

IBM

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old July 12th 04, 07:01 PM
Krztalizer

Who was he and how did he get his name? Did he survive WW2?

He was probably the offspring of a German mother and
Scottish father.

A famous example would be Experte/Ace Gordon MacGollob, one of the Luftwaffe's
best.

v/r
Gordon (not THAT Gordon)
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Its always better to lose -an- engine, not -the- engine.

Old July 13th 04, 10:22 AM
Cub Driver

I can imagine that looking at a roster of American military
the Germans might have wondered aloud at the irony.
Eisenhower for instance?

Well, they put about that he was Jewish. Same with Roosevelt.
(Actually, a lot of Americans believed that of FDR.)

Just as all Americans are the offspring of immigrants, and many have
close ties to another country, so are all Europeans the product of
migrations and conquests over the centuries, and many can trace their
parentage to another country. My son-in-law is English, but both of
his father's parents were Scots (not an important distinction, to an
American, but I assure you it is to a Scot), and his mother's family
have German roots. And note that the English are called Anglo-Saxon,
referring to two Germanic tribes.

I went backcountry skiing in Canada with a young woman guide whose
name was McDonald, pronounced Mac-donn-all. Her family were of the
"habitants" and did not speak English, being thoroughly French save
for the surname.

Then there famously was Louis Battenberg, who changed his name to
Mountbatten during World War I.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old July 13th 04, 04:03 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Cub Driver writes:

Then there famously was Louis Battenberg, who changed his name to
Mountbatten during World War I.

And, of course, the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, family, who changed their name
to Windsor somewhere around the same time.

Or, as stated in the 4th Blackadder series:
"I can't be a traitor! I'm as British as Queen Victoria!"
"Oh, so you're half German, you married a German, you speak German,
and the Kaiser is your Grandson!"

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old July 13th 04, 09:56 PM
ian maclure

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:22:09 -0400, Cub Driver wrote:

[snip]

I went backcountry skiing in Canada with a young woman guide whose
name was McDonald, pronounced Mac-donn-all. Her family were of the
"habitants" and did not speak English, being thoroughly French save
for the surname.

Probably a descendent of a demobilised highland soldier of the
French-Indian/7 Year's War period.
Many settled on the North Shore of the St Lawrence and their
progeny have been speaking only French for the better part
of 250 years.

Two of the leading lights of the Quebec separatist movement
bore the mellifluous fine old French names Robert Burns and
Louis O'Neil.

Old July 14th 04, 10:30 AM
Cub Driver

On 13 Jul 2004 20:56:22 GMT, "ian maclure" wrote:

Two of the leading lights of the Quebec separatist movement
bore the mellifluous fine old French names Robert Burns and
Louis O'Neil.

Then there is the famous South American liberator, Bernando O'Higgins.

I believe there was also a marshal of France named Ashe.

The Scots weren't exactly stay-at-homes, but the Irish *really* got
around.

Then there are the "English" families you find in Argentina, often in
Patagonia. I've met several of these in the past few years, result of
a family connection. They speak English, and most go to school or
university in Britain at some point in their lives.

And yes, one of them just got a job on an estancia so large that his
new employer sent him to flight school, because the foreman gets
around by Cessna 172, so you see this was really on topic after all.