PDA

View Full Version : Re: Is 91.175 enforced in the USA?

Jim Macklin
December 20th 06, 12:19 PM
§ 91.175 Takeoff and landing under IFR.
(a) Instrument approaches to civil airports. Unless
otherwise authorized by the Administrator, when an
instrument letdown to a civil airport is necessary, each
person operating an aircraft, except a military aircraft of
the United States, shall use a standard instrument approach
procedure prescribed for the airport in part 97 of this
chapter.

Yes it is enforced, but note that "unless authorized by the
Administrator" which means that private approaches can be
created, flight tested and approved for use. A private
airport can have an IAP approved for use only by authorized
pilots. It has to meet approval standards and be flight
tested at your expense.

"Peter" > wrote in message
| This is the reg which prevents flying instrument
approaches unless it
| is a published one.
|
| In the UK, this is not illegal (on G-reg aircraft). But
then we don't
| get the radar services here, etc. Pilots tend to fly
descents using a
| GPS, etc.
|
| In the USA, there are GPS approaches, and there are many
more
| instrument approaches anyway.
|
| At the *practical* level, I am curious to what extent the
FAA enforces
| this regulation. I suppose this question is relevant only
in the
| context of airports which don't have a published IAP - I
don't know
| what % this is in the USA.

Google