KGARS - Kiting Glider Automatic Relase System

Old May 24th 20, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default KGARS - Kiting Glider Automatic Relase System

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 8:31:05 AM UTC-4, wrote:
To the two posters who described your event from the towplane end of things.

First, thank you for posting.

Second, if you can remember, did you instinctively apply substantial up elevator during the upset?

Mark

I missed this original post but perhaps I should weigh in. I believe my experience has been well documented in other posts but for the record I've encountered a kiting situation at about 350 feet AGL. (along with one at 2K feet and others a bit less sudden) It was sudden and quite violent causing me to pitch down 60 degrees or more and roll to the left 90 degrees. My first instinct was to release but no luck, the handle would not produce enough mechanical advantage. My next move was to close the throttle, not good to be nose down at full throttle. I am quite sure initially I had the stick full back to counter the downward pitch. I then tried again to release, no luck, and then the rope broke. I recovered with trees visible in my peripheral vision to the left. I therefore estimate that I lost 300 feet or more before recovery. The 15 year old student on her 3rd solo did not release, go figure.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow PIlot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot