Lost Comms While on Vectors for traffic

Old April 25th 05, 11:50 AM
Roy Smith

"G. Sylvester" wrote:
Fly to the next fix even if it is behind you and then
continue on as filed.

Other than an initial departure heading (i.e. "fly runway heading", or
something like that), I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where the
next fix would be behind you. If they've already vectored you past a fix
in your initial clearance, I'd skip it and go to the next one.

But, like I've said before, it's easy to sit here on my comfy living room
couch and hypothesize about what the right thing to do is. When it happens
to you, you'll be in the best position to figure out what makes the most
sense given the situation.
Old April 25th 05, 06:26 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"G. Sylvester" wrote in message
m...

correct. if they say "vectors for traffic" and you lose comm,
squawk 7600 and then fly direct to your next fix as that is
your clearance. if they
say "fly heading 060" (but not for traffic), it is to
intercept an approach course or victor/jet airway
but it is for something. If they are just handing out vectors
to nowhere just to vector you around the Class B, well
do as they say in thee book. Do as cleared (but with no
further explanation) - expected (they didn't say anything) -
filed. Fly to the next fix even if it is behind you and then
continue on as filed. If they ask you then they can also listen
to the tapes and they should 'expect' a better clearance from
their controllers.

How can the next fix be behind you? Are you thinking of a situation where
the vectors have turned you completely around?

Old April 25th 05, 10:11 PM
paul kgyy

The last time I flew through the Cleveland Class B I was IMC eastbound
via DJB to Youngstown. I got vectored out over Lake Erie before I got
to Dryer, so in that sense my "next fix" would be "behind me". But I
can't imagine why would go back to DJB, which is southwest of Hopkins.
My inclination would be to stay with the vector for another 5-10
minutes, until I could make a single turn and overfly Burke airport on
the assumption that that would keep me at least out of Burke traffic
and then direct YNG.

Old April 26th 05, 06:49 AM
G. Sylvester

paul kgyy wrote:

The last time I flew through the Cleveland Class B I was IMC eastbound
via DJB to Youngstown. I got vectored out over Lake Erie before I got
to Dryer, so in that sense my "next fix" would be "behind me".

exactly. Flying out of SQL, you get RV OAK V244 ECA. Basically
they vector you onto V244. Often they just given you a heading
to fly right after departure with no additional "expect V244."
So you are still on RV to OAK. Often they say "fly heading
XXX and intercept V244" after you are already past OAK.
Technically you are still be in RV to OAK and therefore
should fly it. In practice this might one of those situations
where you are 3nm to V244 vs. 10 to OAK. They would probably
expect you to go to V244 rather than fly the 20 nm round
trip back to your initial lost comm point.

This is kind of like holding until your filed enroute time /arrival
time. If you hold you tie up all the airspace so even though they
say hold all controllers say "just land ASAP."

Gerald
Old April 26th 05, 10:08 PM
S Narayan

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Lynne" wrote in message
oups.com...

Makes sense. However, every vector must be for somewhere. IE:
"Gulfstream zero golf alpha, turn left heading 250 vectors for traffic,
you can expect direct choo choo" If you are not given a location where
the vector is for, it's fully appropriate to ask the controller for one.

Every vector must be for someTHING, not necessarily someWHERE. When
initiating a vector the controller must advise the pilot of the purpose.
The vector may me for traffic or for spacing.

Flying into the LA basin many years ago talking to SoCal Appch to Orange
County Apt I was vectored for about half an hour before I got vectors to fly
the approach. It was not clear what really was going on (most of it was in
IMC) or where I was going until the final approach clearance.