News Flash: You don't need elevator control !

Old November 3rd 03, 03:21 PM
JJ Sinclair

Hi Karl,
Welcome to ras. We are being quite civil to each other, lately and a lot of
good information is being passed out. Your vast reservoir of soaring knowledge
is more than welcome. Keep posting.
JJ Sinclair
Old November 3rd 03, 05:22 PM
JJ Sinclair

Frank wrote Maybe the tape and control linkages are _just_
enough........

OK, I'll buy the "tape" would be strong enough to do the job. Now, when a
bystander askes, "Is that tape all that holds the wings on?" We can honestly
say, On thes Kestrel, it is.
:)
JJ Sinclair
Old November 4th 03, 06:03 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
Frank wrote Maybe the tape and control linkages are _just_
enough........

OK, I'll buy the "tape" would be strong enough to do the job. Now, when a
bystander askes, "Is that tape all that holds the wings on?" We can

honestly
say, On thes Kestrel, it is.
:)
JJ Sinclair

Two of the control rods are pinned in the Slingsby Kestrel 19. Don't know
about the 17.

Frank

Old November 4th 03, 11:14 AM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

Did you hear the story about the pilot who rigged his Kestrel, towed it to
the other side of the airfield where the launch point was that day, just as
he got there the wings fell off - no mainpin.

Very lucky the wind was not in the other direction, or the wings would still
have been on when he reached the launch point.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
Frank wrote Maybe the tape and control linkages are _just_
enough........

OK, I'll buy the "tape" would be strong enough to do the job. Now,
when a bystander asks, "Is that tape all that holds the wings on?" we
can honestly say, "on the Kestrel, it is".

Old November 4th 03, 03:50 PM
Shaber CJ

Did you hear the story about the pilot who rigged his Kestrel, towed it to
the other side of the airfield where the launch point was that day, just as
he got there the wings fell off - no mainpin.

It seems to me that the wing pins are rather high on the list of things to
remember. Maybe if they are not smart enough to remember wing pins they
shouldn't be in the gene pool.
Old November 4th 03, 04:20 PM
F.L. Whiteley

No, but I'm sure they would if it bounced along the ground very much, even
with the control rods pinned. I'm sure they went to full deflection.

Frank

Old November 4th 03, 08:04 PM
Jim Kellett

"nowhere" wrote in message
m...
Yes, according to Peter Garrison's "Aftermath" column in the November
issue of "Flying" you don't need to connect your elevator control! I
quote: "the NTSB report does not comment on the fact that a
disconnected elevator does not make an ASW-20, . . .

The POH for the ASW-20C includes how to fly in emergencies with no elevator,
using flaps for pitch control.

Jim Kellett
N16AL (H3)

Old November 5th 03, 09:32 AM
Stephen Cook

You may of course be talking about a different incident, but if this is the
event I witnessed it should read like this:

Did you hear the story about the pilot who rigged his Kestrel, towed it to
the other side of the airfield where the launch point was that day, took a
launch, flew around for a while, landed and on the ground run the wings fell
off - no mainpin.

Stephen

Old November 5th 03, 10:15 AM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

I did not witness the incident which I related, I am not sure if it is just
an urban legend.

If you witnessed yours you are ahead of me. Are you willing to tell us
where and when?

There is not much to tape on a Slingsby Kestrel 19, I owned one once.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

Old November 5th 03, 11:09 AM
Janusz Kesik

I'm not sure if I hit the topic, but I personally know one guy who =
returned to the ground in Bocian with disconnected elevator. He used =
trim knob to get the glider down to earth in a gentle way.

Regards,

--=20
Janusz Kesik

visit