Garmin 196 update and database

Old March 17th 05, 02:28 PM
Denny

Default Garmin 196 update and database

Can the list, succinctly, refresh my memory on updating the 196 by
download, both the firmware and the latest database for the USA... I
have done this on the 195 years ago so I have some idea how, and I
have the USB adapter for the 196...
Do I need a download a driver first?
What are the keystrokes to restart the 196 after the download?

And it looks like I need to install the ver 4.0 program before I can
download the obstacle database...

denny

Old March 17th 05, 02:45 PM
Denny

Ahhh jeez, now I see the topic just finished on the 14th... Sorry, but
I still need the keystrokes to reactivate it after the load..
denny

Old March 17th 05, 07:07 PM
Tom Fleischman

In article .com,
Denny wrote:

Can the list, succinctly, refresh my memory on updating the 196 by
download, both the firmware and the latest database for the USA... I
have done this on the 195 years ago so I have some idea how, and I
have the USB adapter for the 196...
Do I need a download a driver first?
What are the keystrokes to restart the 196 after the download?

And it looks like I need to install the ver 4.0 program before I can
download the obstacle database...

denny

I did this today. My database was a year out of date and I had firmware
v. 3.xx and after reading part of this thread decided to update the
unit.

It was simple. Go to the Garmin website, go to the system update to v.
4.00, plug in the 196, turn it on, set it to Simulator Mode, download
the updater, run the updater, follow the prompts and Bob's your uncle.
You are up to v. 4.00. Now to the Databases page, download the updates,
the process is almost identical and I was done. Cost me $35 for each of
the two updates (Database and Obstacle).

The only problem was that if I had wanted to keep my routes, points,
etc. I would need MapSource to back it up. Since I didn't really have
anything in there that I needed to keep I just blew it out.

Hope this helps...